Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 83

Thread: Travelers: New X-ray machines WILL ruin your film

  1. #31
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    13,627

    Re: Travelers: New X-ray machines WILL ruin your film

    I assume you mean, drive to all locations.

    However some cities seem to have truck scanners that can see inside while it drives by...

    Ports definetly have various methods, https://phys.org/news/2017-05-compan...nightmare.html

    I am sure we don't find everything on Google

    Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Time to dig out the old Rand McNally I guess!
    sin eater

  2. #32

    Re: Travelers: New X-ray machines WILL ruin your film

    Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    I (nor the TSA) never stated it is safe to put film in checked baggage. All I was pointing out is that people are getting their shorts in a wad over the new CT scanners for carry-ons. I asked if anyone had had film ruined in checked baggage, sine the CT scanner seem to be in use for that.
    I did not come on here to argue with you or anyone else. I urge you to do whatever you want with your film. To be clear, I entered this thread only to call attention to TSA's recommendation that light meters also be hand-inspected. And my shorts are fine, thank you.

    N. Riley
    http://normanrileyphotography.

  3. #33
    Do or do not. There is no try.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    847

    Re: Travelers: New X-ray machines WILL ruin your film

    Quote Originally Posted by NER View Post
    When information about these new machines was first posted here over a month ago (https://www.largeformatphotography.i...nners-fog-film), I immediately wrote to both Analog and TSA to inquire about possible effects on light meters, ...snip...
    The manufacturer is Analogic, not Analog. I worked for Analog Devices for over 35 years and can assure you that while both companies are headquartered in Massachusetts, they are very separate and distinct entities. Analogic is a good customer of Analog's.

  4. #34

    Re: Travelers: New X-ray machines WILL ruin your film

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    The manufacturer is Analogic, not Analog. I worked for Analog Devices for over 35 years and can assure you that while both companies are headquartered in Massachusetts, they are very separate and distinct entities. Analogic is a good customer of Analog's.
    Thanks for the correction.

    N. Riley
    http://normanrileyphotography.com

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    4,885

    Re: Travelers: New X-ray machines WILL ruin your film

    Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    I (nor the TSA) never stated it is safe to put film in checked baggage. All I was pointing out is that people are getting their shorts in a wad over the new CT scanners for carry-ons. I asked if anyone had had film ruined in checked baggage, sine the CT scanner seem to be in use for that.
    Might want to edit your post 20 then.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    TSA says you can put film in checked baggage.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    258

    Re: Travelers: New X-ray machines WILL ruin your film

    And this is why I mail my film ahead when I go to Las Vegas.... I've had TSA swear that their X-ray machines don't fog film and refuse to hand inspect film.

    How does this new machine foul up light meters?

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    4,885

    Re: Travelers: New X-ray machines WILL ruin your film

    Quote Originally Posted by MrFujicaman View Post
    And this is why I mail my film ahead when I go to Las Vegas.... I've had TSA swear that their X-ray machines don't fog film and refuse to hand inspect film.

    How does this new machine foul up light meters?
    TSA isn’t obligated to hand inspect. They do it as a courtesy... when they feel like it. Those folks are paid low salaries to do a thankless task so expecting anything more than the minimum is wishful thinking. I’ve encountered some very nice TSA folks but in general they are not very motivated.

    X-ray, no matter how many dimensions, has never been shown harmful to exposure meters. Mine, both electronic and mechanical, have survived over the years of being x-rayed. I suspect vibrations from the aircraft would be more harmful.

    That response from the TSA communications contractor is the classic “we don’t know; won’t find out; but need to say something to be polite so well say something very conservative to be safe... despite no information “. Frustrating!

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9

    Re: Travelers: New X-ray machines WILL ruin your film

    Quote Originally Posted by HMG View Post
    My suspicion is that these new scanners may require some time to "dial in" and their impact on film today could be better or worse than it is 6 months from now.
    A quick google suggests they've been in use at dozens of airports since 2016, just not in the US. Consequently, I think they're as dialled in as they ever will be

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    Buford, GA
    Posts
    13,051

    Re: Travelers: New X-ray machines WILL ruin your film

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    TSA isnít obligated to hand inspect. They do it as a courtesy... when they feel like it. Those folks are paid low salaries to do a thankless task so expecting anything more than the minimum is wishful thinking. Iíve encountered some very nice TSA folks but in general they are not very motivated.

    X-ray, no matter how many dimensions, has never been shown harmful to exposure meters. Mine, both electronic and mechanical, have survived over the years of being x-rayed. I suspect vibrations from the aircraft would be more harmful.

    That response from the TSA communications contractor is the classic ďwe donít know; wonít find out; but need to say something to be polite so well say something very conservative to be safe... despite no information ď. Frustrating!
    Since Congress doesnít seem to do much why donít you ask your Representative and your Senators to find the answer?

  10. #40
    Pieter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    224

    Re: Travelers: New X-ray machines WILL ruin your film

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Might want to edit your post 20 then.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    TSA says you can put film in checked baggage.
    TSA states you can bring film in carry-on or checked baggage. They don't say the film won't be affected. They recommend asking for hand inspection.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-05 at 1.54.25 PM.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	198174

Similar Threads

  1. Midtone Machines - Automatic Film Processing Machine
    By AndrewBurns in forum New Products
    Replies: 112
    Last Post: 10-Apr-2020, 12:59
  2. Did I just ruin my film?
    By nimo956 in forum Style & Technique
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 9-Jun-2015, 13:08
  3. X Ray Machines at Airports and Fogged Film
    By ki6mf in forum Location & Travel
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 29-Sep-2008, 11:55
  4. Loaded Sheet Film and Airport Carry On X-Ray Machines
    By Andre Noble in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 29-Aug-2001, 20:34
  5. Question for Travelers
    By Bob Passage in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17-Feb-2000, 23:03

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •