Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Travelers: New X-ray machines WILL ruin your film

Re: Travelers: New X-ray machines WILL ruin your film

Thanks to various posts, I now check the TSA website to determine whether the U.S. airports I use have the new scanners or not. If not, I can continue the easier routine of keeping film in my carry-on bags without the extra effort to get it hand inspected. Is there any equivalent list for international airports?

This may seem obvious or have been answered, but film is shipped by USPO every day without a problem. For this reason, I have always ordered fresh film from B&H to be delivered to my destination before I arrive. I now think that I will simply mail my exposed and unused film home when I return. Plenty of processing houses receive exposed film by mail, yes. Can anyone suggest why this would not work, cutting out the whole "please hand inspect" hassle? I have been using priority mail envelopes and packages for years and they have never lost one yet. It seems like a cheap way to avoid the headache of traveling with film.
    Bill Poole

"Speak softly, but carry a big camera."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Poole View Post
    This may seem obvious or have been answered, but film is shipped by USPO every day without a problem. For this reason, I have always ordered fresh film from B&H to be delivered to my destination before I arrive. I now think that I will simply mail my exposed and unused film home when I return. Plenty of processing houses receive exposed film by mail, yes. Can anyone suggest why this would not work, cutting out the whole "please hand inspect" hassle? I have been using priority mail envelopes and packages for years and they have never lost one yet. It seems like a cheap way to avoid the headache of traveling with film.
    +1!

Furthermore, there are often mail boxes for sending located at the entrance to TSA screening.. So you can mail home that knife or film rather than lose it. But if you have time, it would be better to send it from a post office or something rather than hope you find a place to mail at the airport.

I attended a workshop... I mailed my 8x10 and film ahead to general delivery in the destination town. Success. Tripod I checked and it missed a connecting flight. Sent film home by usps just fine.

Isn't mail from out-of-country locations bulk x-rayed once it arrives in the country? Any number of 'border guard' TV programmes seem to suggest that this is the case.

If so, there would be little difference between posting film back and hand-carrying it.

Neil

Keep in mind that you can send a package (address to yourself) to a US post office with instructions to "Hold for Pickup". Be aware that some POs will not hold them for too long before sending back to sender, so best to call them in advance.

Andrew "The RedSun"

It is always advised that, keep your film separately and hand over to airport agents to hand check them.

I still have the foil bag for film. I wish it can be larger and I can bring more film. We never know what effects those machines can do to our films.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
    It is always advised that, keep your film separately and hand over to airport agents to hand check them.

I still have the foil bag for film. I wish it can be larger and I can bring more film. We never know what effects those machines can do to our films.
    I still have a couple of lead foil containers. I don't know for sure that they will work with the machines. The main benefit if it does work, as I see it, is that it forces a hand inspection. Though screener could still insist that film be removed and then go through the scanner. Of course, either way, this ends up taking more screening time than if they agreed to hand inspection to begin with.

The crux of the problem is that screeners prioritize effectiveness and throughput over our desire to photograph with film. Assuming, of course, that hand inspection is effective. From their perspective, I suppose it makes sense.

Travelers: New X-ray machines WILL ruin your film

I’m not too versed in these things, but isn’t there something already existing that is thin, flexible, that makes film fit snuggly and is light tight such that if handed to an inspecting officer he could *feel* there’s film to the touch (or paper, or something like that... anyway something safe)?

I mean rather than handing a box and telling them “don’t open it, it’s film”?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    I’m not too versed in these things, but isn’t there something already existing that is thin, flexible, that makes film fit snuggly and is light tight such that if handed to an inspecting officer he could *feel* there’s film to the touch (or paper, or something like that... anyway something safe)?

I mean rather than handing a box and telling them “don’t open it, it’s film”?
    You mean for sheet film? Or roll film?