Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which lens next?

Which lens next?

My camera (Nagaoka) came with a 150mm. Which lens do you find yourself using more, wide or long?

Huub

Re: Which lens next?

Why not both? A 90 - 150 - 240 is a very nice set. And I would prefer a 240mm over a 210mm, because the focal lengths spread out more evenly. But it depends a lot on your shooting style and what you want to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by jtomasella View Post
    wide or long?
    If you like more landscapes take a wide, if you like more making portraits then take a long. That easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    If you like more landscapes take a wide, if you like more making portraits then take a long. That easy.
    Unless you shoot landscapes with long lenses and portraits with a wide.

jtomasella, if you shoot in other formats you can let that be a guide. You could, with little or no loss of value, purchase either to try and resell if it's not for you.

I also like the 90 - 150 - 240 combo for 4x5. It really depends on what you want to shoot.

I do like the intimate parts of landscapes, so I guess I'll look into the 240. I definitely want to get the other end of the spectrum too, just couldn't decide on which first.

I tend to go longer if I am not hanging around normals...not a big fan of very wide lenses for my own work. With 4x5, my next step up has been 210mm.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Huub View Post
    Why not both? A 90 - 150 - 240 is a very nice set. And I would prefer a 240mm over a 210mm, because the focal lengths spread out more evenly. But it depends a lot on your shooting style and what you want to shoot.
    My recommendation too. There are plenty of lenses in these focal lengths that won't break the bank. A Nikkor 90mm f/8 (or Super Angulon) and a Fuji A 240mm would be my choices in these focal lengths

Drew Wiley

If you do landscapes, go longer (an obvious rebuttal to Pere, just for sake of the usual fun banter). But there are actually no rules, just personal preferences. I happen to mostly like long perspectives. Somebody else might gravitate more toward wide-angle compositions. That's why the already repeated advice of supplementing your 150 with a 240 one direction, and 90 the other, is wise. It gives you a range of possibilities within a modest budget. One has to experiment a bit to find their own groove.

In fact, today portraits are massively made with shorter than normal focals. We call "Selfies" those nose jobs