Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Macro Lens For Panasonic DC-S1R For Large Format Film Scanning?

Re: Macro Lens For Panasonic DC-S1R For Large Format Film Scanning?

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    Thanks, good to know. First-hand info and experience are very helpful.

What format films are you scanning with the S1R and the Sigma 70mm setup?

Also curious how the pixels hold up if interpolating (enlarging) in Photoshop if you are doing this?
    I'm scanning nearly all formats from 35mm to 8x10. The 70 is great for this because it allows single capture of all these formats on a copy stand.

Here is a jpg of a 4x5 I scanned for a client. Portra 160 neg, unsharpend. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vfg0peyjoj...50008.jpg?dl=0 The raw is a little bit better than the jpg, but frankly I have no need for greater quality than this. This lens is already resolving the grain, and I can produce a 360dpi print at my maximum print size. In these situations I will downsample, which further cleans up an already very clean scan.

WOW... thanks for sharing the JPG. I just looked at it at full size and wow... I am sold!

I need to print big (40x50, 48x60, etc), so I will need to explore doing multiple exposures and merging in Lightroom, but I feel like I am on the right path.

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    I'm scanning nearly all formats from 35mm to 8x10. The 70 is great for this because it allows single capture of all these formats on a copy stand.

Here is a jpg of a 4x5 I scanned for a client. Portra 160 neg, unsharpend. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vfg0peyjoj...50008.jpg?dl=0 The raw is a little bit better than the jpg, but frankly I have no need for greater quality than this. This lens is already resolving the grain, and I can produce a 360dpi print at my maximum print size. In these situations I will downsample, which further cleans up an already very clean scan.

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    WOW... thanks for sharing the JPG. I just looked at it at full size and wow... I am sold!

I need to print big (40x50, 48x60, etc), so I will need to explore doing multiple exposures and merging in Lightroom, but I feel like I am on the right path.
    40x50 would be a very insignificant upres in PS. Personally i'd still do that in a single capture. 60, not sure. I'd at least test the upres. OTOH if you have the time testing 2-3 capture stitches may be worthwhile. I sort of feel that only the most highly detailed images would suffer.

For those using the S1R to camera scan, how do you tether? I know Capture One does not support tethered shooting and have heard the Lumix software is not reliable.