Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts About Nikkor SW 75mm F4.5 on Linhof Master Technika?

Thoughts About Nikkor SW 75mm F4.5 on Linhof Master Technika?

I am thinking about getting a Linhof Master Technika and I want to identify a good wide angle and longer lenses for this camera.

I need a wide-angle and I was thinking the Nikkor SW 75mm F4.5 lens could be a good choice?

It is reasonably priced and based on previous Nikkor large format lenses that I have owned, the quality has been good.

Any thought on this lens in regards to it on the Linhof Master Technika 4x5 camera?

-Larry

Re: Thoughts About Nikkor SW 75mm F4.5 on Linhof Master Technika?

Should work just fine. David Muench used 75mm a lot on a Master Technika as well as earlier versions and he's not half bad. Really did well with the near/far effects using it. Do a search on him and check out a lot of the images and you'll see it at work.

The camera works well with it. A bit tight at times but the flap at the top of the body makes rise usable.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Thanks Willie, good info all the way around!

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Should work just fine. David Muench used 75mm a lot on a Master Technika as well as earlier versions and he's not half bad. Really did well with the near/far effects using it. Do a search on him and check out a lot of the images and you'll see it at work.

The camera works well with it. A bit tight at times but the flap at the top of the body makes rise usable.

The biggest annoyance with the Master Technika is using wide angles. The newer Linhof method is to use helicals on wide angles to focus while the front standard is all the way back. This is more common on the really wide angles like 47mm XL or 58mm XL. And most importantly, it's really expensive.

75mm is an odd focal length to get working with the MT. I have a 72mm XL and it's a bit of a pain to use. Hopefully someone will have feedback on that exact lens on an MT (I'm curious as well).

The other quirk with the MT is the drop bed. On my Technika IV, it only has one setting, and then the front standard is tilted back to match the angle of tilt and keep parallel standards. On the MT, there is two different drop bed settings, and the front standard tilts back to match the second drop. Even using the bed pushed back to compensate, the extension inherent by doing this is quite a lot, and makes these wide angles tough to get working. I wish the MT had a "click" on the tilt to match the first drop bed angle. That's all probably hard to understand in writing, sorry - much easier to show if you can get your hands on an MT to try it out.

Personally, I'd like a Master Technika 3000 as a field camera and keep the "Classic" as a handheld camera (no RF on the 3000).

PS: below, you'll see "Similar Threads" found by comparing thread titles. Might be good to read through some of them.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    The biggest annoyance with the Master Technika is using wide angles. The newer Linhof method is to use helicals on wide angles to focus while the front standard is all the way back. This is more common on the really wide angles like 47mm XL or 58mm XL. And most importantly, it's really expensive.

75mm is an odd focal length to get working with the MT. I have a 72mm XL and it's a bit of a pain to use. Hopefully someone will have feedback on that exact lens on an MT (I'm curious as well).

The other quirk with the MT is the drop bed. On my Technika IV, it only has one setting, and then the front standard is tilted back to match the angle of tilt and keep parallel standards. On the MT, there is two different drop bed settings, and the front standard tilts back to match the second drop. Even using the bed pushed back to compensate, the extension inherent by doing this is quite a lot, and makes these wide angles tough to get working. I wish the MT had a "click" on the tilt to match the first drop bed angle. That's all probably hard to understand in writing, sorry - much easier to show if you can get your hands on an MT to try it out.

Personally, I'd like a Master Technika 3000 as a field camera and keep the "Classic" as a handheld camera (no RF on the 3000).

PS: below, you'll see "Similar Threads" found by comparing thread titles. Might be good to read through some of them.
    Latest MT models have 3 drop bed positions and recent ones can have this added.

Thanks Corran, good info.

For my style, I like something a little wider than 90 and so 75 seems to be the sweet spot. I do own a 72XL but assumed it would be too big and bulky to carry with me in my MT kit on the road and that is why I was thinking of going to the 75 because it is smaller.

What I am really trying to achieve with the MT is the ability to use the rangefinder at 3 focal lengths (75/150/360) which allows me to use it handheld with HP5 and then of course if I can mount it on a tripod, I will. I've just missed two many shots not having something like this, so I am trying to assemble a system that will work well for my style and then never have to buy or upgrade again... I am injured right now but hope to be back to traveling again next spring with the good weather and this system could be a really good fit for me.

In regards to the 75mm, is a recessed board required or if not, optimal?

Anyone have any insights or suggestions on a 360mm lens for the MT? There are several options ranging from the Nikkor W 360 to the Rodenstocks (Sironar S, N, Roar), and the Fujinon CM-W I think and a Schneider Symmar too.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post

Unlike a Crown / Speed Graphic, you can't mount a lens "in between" the rails inside the camera and on the bed. Therefore, if a lens is just long enough to need to be in that gap, it's a problem - and sometimes the recessed lensboard is actually a detriment because it puts the lens in that spot. IIRC, I use my 90mm XL on a recessed lens board and the 72mm XL on a flat board - seemingly backward from what would be most appropriate but I believe this is due to the problem I just mentioned.

So do you have a Linhof MT now or are you looking to buy one? Getting the whole system to play nice is the problematic part. If you are looking to buy, I would suggest seeing if you can find a kit properly setup on eBay or other classifieds - sometimes, the premium price on that kind of setup is worth it due to not having to hassle with any kind of cam-cutting or messing around with oddball solutions. At the least, you can find an MT with a cammed 150mm lens probably fairly easily, then figure out the rest.

IMO a 360mm telephoto of some design will be your best bet. I personally would recommend the Nikkor-T 360mm f/8, and go ahead and grab one with the 500mm element that can be exchanged on the rear. Then you'll have the ability to use up to a 500mm on an MT (yes, it works - but you have to have an extension board! Those are easier to find and deal with than recessed boards though). Using the 360mm with a cam is a different question and I would be reticent to try such a thing handheld, for various reasons. Most of the lenses you mentioned are much larger and would not be my first choice, or may be too big to even fit on/in the Linhof.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I have a master Technika and use it with a 75mm Grandagon. Works OK but I personally find it a bit tricky to get the lens on the very back of the movable rails - sometimes I find hanging it a bit off the back of the rails works best with a flat board. What I finally did was get a recessed board and use a flexible cable extension permanently attached to the lens. I also have the Nikkor 360 - 500 -720 set and it's a great lens set - very sharp. The 360 and 500 work just fine on my Technika and the whole set works on my 5 x 7 Kardan Bi or any other 5 x 7 for that matter

75mm is an odd focal length to get working with the MT

I fully agree with you - it seems Linhof doesnt like 75mm lens. Read my post about difficulties in focusing this lens with Linhof MT.

Happy New Year

Here's something of interest for comparison - a 75mm Nikkor SW on a 5x7 Canham MQC with the 617 rollfilm back. No center filter, but compensated for (lightly) in Photoshop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150910_4205.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	210936