Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Infinity or Hyper Focal?

Re: Infinity or Hyper Focal?

I would really like to get a Linhof Master Technika with the rangefinder and the cam properly calibrated for a longer lens like a 240 or even a 300 if that is possible. Newbie question. Can you get different cams for different lenses and use them on the same camera I assume? Can this be calibrated without an engineering degree?

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    If your friend has a Speed Graphic, check with him about what lens it has and if the rangefinder is calibrated. Could be ready to shoot right now with the ease of RF focusing.

I have a Speed with a 127mm lens calibrated to the RF, as well as a Linhof Master Technika with a variety of lenses I can shoot with the RF. It's fun and an unusual usage for LF, these days.

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    I would really like to get a Linhof Master Technika with the rangefinder and the cam properly calibrated for a longer lens like a 240 or even a 300 if that is possible. Newbie question. Can you get different cams for different lenses and use them on the same camera I assume? Can this be calibrated without an engineering degree?
    Cams for 72 to 360 are available. The service center can cut it to match your exact lens. Once a Master Technica’s cam is cut it will work properly on all Master Technika and Super Technika cameras with rangefinder.

Cramming includes the correct infinity stops and focusing scale.

The cam is cut for specific lenses. There are only a few folks who do this. Check eBay though - you can find lenses with cams for sale occasionally.

I used to have a 270mm Tele-Arton calibrated to my Linhof IV and it was a fine lens. But I found a sweet deal on a 250mm f/5.6 Zeiss Sonnar for my Linhof MT so I have that now...as well as a 75mm, 90mm, and a few 150mm lenses with cams.

It's the way to go for shooting multiple lenses with RF focusing in LF.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Bob, when you say, service center, are you talking about the Linhof service center or something else? This really would be an ideal way for me to go with a rangefinder, so I would like to understand this better so I know what to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Cams for 72 to 360 are available. The service center can cut it to match your exact lens. Once a Master Technica’s cam is cut it will work properly on all Master Technika and Super Technika cameras with rangefinder.

Cramming includes the correct infinity stops and focusing scale.

I focus at infinity because objects in the distance in my images are very small and cannot be resolved without accurate focus. Objects in the near field are very large and are still easily identified when out of focus. I'm not the only one with this idea. You can read this whole book on-line for the specifics, or you can just read this sentence near the end of the book.

The traditional depth-of-field philosophy usually ends with the advice: to maximize depth-of-field, choose a moderately small lens opening, set the focus to the hyperfocal distance, and shoot. My parting advice would be a little different. For typical normal and wide-angle lenses, especially lenses having focal lengths less than about 50 mm no matter what the camera format, set the lens opening to somewhere in the 2 mm to 5 mm range, set the focus at infinity, and shoot.
    The INs and OUTs of FOCUS
    An Alternative Way to Estimate Depth-of-Field and Sharpness
    in the Photographic Image
    by
    Harold M. Merklinger

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    Bob, when you say, service center, are you talking about the Linhof service center or something else? This really would be an ideal way for me to go with a rangefinder, so I would like to understand this better so I know what to look for.
    Linhof service centers like Precision in IL.

There are small range-finders, optical or laser, on the market. For golfers, hunters, etc. You could mark your camera for certain distances.

Hmmm...that lion is 300 meters away, now he is 225 meters away, now he is 100 meters away, oh shit, he's 20 yards away and seems to be chasing a red dot!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

It is funny you mention this Vaughn... I was literally just looking on Amazon at golf range-finders...

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    There are small range-finders, optical or laser, on the market. For golfers, hunters, etc. You could mark your camera for certain distances.

Hmmm...that lion is 300 meters away, now he is 225 meters away, now he is 100 meters away, oh shit, he's 20 yards away and seems to be chasing a red dot!

Yes, they are governed by the laws of optics. There are some, extremely rare, lenses which may differ for some reason, but I Have Never Run Into One in 80 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post

There are also many small ones made for photography,particularly in the 30's and40's prior to SLR's. Usually very cheap now.