Thread: Linhof Enlargers

Linhof Enlargers

This all came about from having acquired a Linhof Copy Stand & wondering how to tighten the column on the base...

Anyhow, given how much it looked & felt like the core of an enlarger, it reminded me of images I'd seen of the Linhof enlarger camera back & a few of Linhof branded enlargers that seemed to be a mix of Durst heads (1000, 138S condenser from recall - and an Omega Chromega dichroic?) and columns derived from copy/ studio stands from the Linhof range - as well as a seemingly newer model that looked to have a familial resemblance to some of IFF's products.

What I'd like to know is how long Linhof made enlargers for & how much was bought-in from other manufacturers - as opposed to completely made in-house?

Re: Linhof Enlargers

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    This all came about from having acquired a Linhof Copy Stand & wondering how to tighten the column on the base...

Anyhow, given how much it looked & felt like the core of an enlarger, it reminded me of images I'd seen of the Linhof enlarger camera back & a few of Linhof branded enlargers that seemed to be a mix of Durst heads (1000, 138S condenser from recall - and an Omega Chromega dichroic?) and columns derived from copy/ studio stands from the Linhof range - as well as a seemingly newer model that looked to have a familial resemblance to some of IFF's products.

What I'd like to know is how long Linhof made enlargers for & how much was bought-in from other manufacturers - as opposed to completely made in-house?
    Color heads were bought the rest was made on Rupert Mayer Strasse in Munich were they make their products till today.

If you go to the "Catalogs" page on the Laflex site...

https://www.laflexcamera.com/catalogs

...you will find that the 1969 catalog has a few pages of enlarger components, the final couple of pages in the 1974 catalog make reference to a separate catalog containing enlargers, but (so far as I can tell on a quick glance) the 1982 catalog no longer mentions enlargers.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post

...you will find that the 1969 catalog has a few pages of enlarger components, the final couple of pages in the 1974 catalog make reference to a separate catalog containing enlargers, but (so far as I can tell on a quick glance) the 1982 catalog no longer mentions enlargers.
    We sold them after 82.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post

Cheers - the 1969 catalogue has the camera enlargers/ copy stand - and the 1974 one has the enlarger that I recall seeing a picture of - and now I look closer, it looks like the style of the Durst 138 head, but differently made - and I note that the lens stage looks remarkably like a Technika & the focusing rails like those off a Kardan or similar...

Bob, were these machines priced about level with the equivalent Dursts or higher? If they're as nice to use as I suspect they'd be, I'm puzzled as to why there don't seem to be that many out there in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
    Cheers - the 1969 catalogue has the camera enlargers/ copy stand - and the 1974 one has the enlarger that I recall seeing a picture of - and now I look closer, it looks like the style of the Durst 138 head, but differently made - and I note that the lens stage looks remarkably like a Technika & the focusing rails like those off a Kardan or similar...

Bob, were these machines priced about level with the equivalent Dursts or higher? If they're as nice to use as I suspect they'd be, I'm puzzled as to why there don't seem to be that many out there in the world.
    They were in the same price range of other European enlargers from Italy and Germany. But we did not stock them in the USA so shipping brought their price a bit higher.

If anyone has the separate enlarger catalogue in English (or German), I'd be really interested to see it - at least in part to satisfy my curiosity as to the biggest format handled (13x18cm?) - I really like the idea of using a studio stand as a base for a floor standing enlarger - looks considerably more heavy duty than the Durst 138 base & likely much more moveable when setting up wall projection without rail systems.