Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to the Schneider Xenotar 150mm F2.8 for 4x5?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Alternative to the Schneider Xenotar 150mm F2.8 for 4x5?

Anyone know of a similar lens or a way to get a similar look as the very expensive Schneider Xenotar 150mm F2.8 lens? I like to do still life and I think the very narrow DOF and bokeh could work really well for my vision but I don't have thousands of dollars to invest in this lens. Any ideas would be appreciated.

-Larry

Re: Alternative to the Schneider Xenotar 150mm F2.8 for 4x5?

7"/2.8 AeroEktar. Doesn't go in shutter.

Thanks, Dan, I will go look for this lens. I am okay if it isn't in shutter because I have a Sinar Copal Shutter that I can use.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    7"/2.8 AeroEktar. Doesn't go in shutter.

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    Thanks, Dan, I will go look for this lens. I am okay if it isn't in shutter because I have a Sinar Copal Shutter that I can use.
    Mind you that all Aero Ektars are radioactive. I think this is something you should be aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by erian View Post
    Mind you that all Aero Ektars are radioactive. I think this is something you should be aware of.
    I believe I've directed you to "the list." If I haven't, please ask for directions.

It contains a link to a piece by Mike Briggs, a PhD physicist, that discusses how severe a radiation hazard the 7"/2.5 AE poses. Not much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    I believe I've directed you to "the list." If I haven't, please ask for directions.

It contains a link to a piece by Mike Briggs, a PhD physicist, that discusses how severe a radiation hazard the 7"/2.5 AE poses. Not much.
    I have read it and both, the article and the video I linked agree with each other.

Mike says

"My very-approximate calculations show that a few hours exposure close to an Aero-Ektar causes a smaller additional radiation dose than a trans-Atlantic plane flight. However, a one-year long close exposure would cause a significant radiation dose, one that would be several times higher than the naturally occurring dose. Clearly, you should not store Aero-Ektars under your bed!".

Garglon measures ~1.7 μSv close to the ground glass and ~0.5 μSv 10 cm away from it.

Mike does not explain what methods did he use to measure the radiation but assuming that one does not stay constantly next to the ground glass then few hours of Aero Ektar usage probably will give lower dosage than 6 hours lasting transatlantic flight during which the radiation levels are around 0.5-0.7 μSv.

I think it is also fairly evident that Aero Ektar does not have some granite or banana level radioactivity. It has some punch, especially next to it (it saturated the Radex dosimeter) and it should be used with caution and respect.

I am not in position to say if somebody should or should not use Aero Ektars but I think it was evident that OP was not aware of this issue and I think it is fair to disclose this information.

8" f2.9 Dallmeyer Pentac too.

Thanks Jason, that is a great tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    8" f2.9 Dallmeyer Pentac too.

Komura 150mm f/2.8 (or 3.5)

Another lens that I did not know about... thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by MAubrey View Post
    Komura 150mm f/2.8 (or 3.5)