Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alternative to the Schneider Xenotar 150mm F2.8 for 4x5?

Re: Alternative to the Schneider Xenotar 150mm F2.8 for 4x5?

Wow... good info... After hearing about the Aero Ektar radiation, that makes me a little concerned about this lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Rollei Heidosmat 150mm f/2.8 projection lens (no aperture).

The others are also good options, and don't forget the Kodak Aero Ektar also game in a 6" variety (rarer). These generally have a yellowish stain that can be removed in some part, so be aware of that for color work.

There is also a 165mm f/2.7 Tessar out there, and as for f/3.5 lenses, there is a 150mm f/3.5 Triotar (rare).

Probably some more I'm forgetting...I'm a bit of a fast ~6" lens hoarder!

Read the previous posts about radiation.

It is not an issue for any reasonable usage. Don't grind it up and eat it, and don't store it under your pillow, otherwise it's fine.

Mine is on my 4x5 Speed Graphic right now and it is sitting about 15 feet from me. Not worried in the slightest.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

The 152/2.8 Komura is gem to be had if you can acquire one at a reasonable price. I've used both and actually prefer it over the Schneider Xenotar... but honesty found both optics to be just a pleasure to use.

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    Wow... good info... After hearing about the Aero Ektar radiation, that makes me a little concerned about this lens.
    I think that Aero Ektar is optically a very interesting lens if you can afford it.

My personal understanding is that it is a fairly strong radiation source at very close distance (I would not recommend to put it close to your intimate parts) but the intensity falls off rapidly with the distance.

By being able to afford it I mean that can you store it in a such way that it does not affect the people surrounding you? Your family, your neighbors, your guest. Do you have a distant spot where the radiation does not change the intensity of the background radiation for the people getting randomly nearby?

You just have to consider the safe distance from the lens and check if you can allocate such area for it.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by MAubrey View Post
    Komura 150mm f/2.8 (or 3.5)
    I'd second that. The Komura 152mm f3.5 came in a few versions and is very good; but I'd go longer. For portraits, try the 10" 4.5 Wollensak Tele
    254/4.5 = 158/2.8
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten Wolff View Post
    I'd second that. The Komura 152mm f3.5 came in a few versions and is very good; but I'd go longer. For portraits, try the 10" 4.5 Wollensak Tele
    254/4.5 = 158/2.8
    I have use my 12 inch f/4.5 Wollensak Velostigmat for 4x5 portraits with great results. Only catch is that it covers 8x10 so there's a lot of light bouncing off the inside of the bellows. When I first used it on my 4x5 Sinar without a bellows lenshood, printing the resulting negatives required a lot of burning in of the edges of the print.