Thread: Doran 400 CFM darkroom fan arrived with rough, uneven louvers

Doran 400 CFM darkroom fan arrived with rough, uneven louvers

Just unboxed this fan to find many of the louvers with rough, uneven edges. Besides expecting more for $200, I wonder if this will make the louvers less effective at blocking light? (Interestingly, the 12x24 Doran Louver I bought for passive air in-take has smooth, even-edged louvers!)

Anyone else notice this on the Doran fan? Is this the nature of this all-plastic beastie? Or should I return it and try again?

Or maybe this is an opportunity to reconsider the choice of fan, and opt for something different, like the Panasonic mentioned in a previous post? I have an existing window over the soon-to-be-sink area, and would need to be able to mount the fan there. Would also appreciate thoughts on how to make a consumer brand fan light-tight (one advantage of the Doran).

Thanks in advance for your help! I appreciate everyone’s time!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0262.jpg  

Re: Doran 400 CFM darkroom fan arrived with rough, uneven louvers

I have been hoarding two of these for my darkroom build and never used them. Mine are quite well-built - bought them four years ago.

Mine Have never had the problem. It shouldn't cause a problem,but i would return to dealer for replacement.

Drew Wiley

It was probably stored somewhere hot, causing the plastic fins to warp. There is not likely going to be any negative effect except for cosmetic appearance, which might not even itself be an issue in a darkened room. Otherwise, have it exchanged by the dealer, and hope the replacement won't have the same flaw for the same reason. These are not absolutely light tight if direct sun hits them at a certain angle. If that ever happens, just install a little sunshade visor above the exterior side.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Mine Have never had the problem. It shouldn't cause a problem,but i would return to dealer for replacement.
    I would contact Doran rather then the dealer.

Thanks to all for confirming my sense that the warped and rough edges are enough of a defect to warrant returning the fan, whether or not they do cause light to enter over time.

Beyond that, what do you think about sticking with the Doran, or choosing a different option? The darkroom will be in a small room of 275 cubic feet that shares a partially open wall (5" long) with a larger room. An existing window, where I'll need to install the fan, is above the sink area at about chest height.

If you might have suggestions for specific fan models for through-the-window-placement as an alternative, that'd be great! Also ideas on how to baffle the light! The through-the-wall units I've come across online seem to need to be hardwired.

I'd return it and buy another one. That's not typical. L

Drew Wiley

I use Doran light-baffled intake vents, but feel that you get a lot more bang for the buck with a more serious fan, and using the configuration of the ductwork to stop light. That's also a better way to have a gravity flap that only opens under exhaust pressure, but automatically closes when not in use to keep cold (or hot) exterior ambient air from coming in passively. But a lot depends on the installation logistics.