Thread: Culling the Lens Herd - Reducing duplication

Culling the Lens Herd - Reducing duplication

As part of doing some simplification, and upgrading a 4x5 field camera, I'm looking to reduce lens duplication.

210mm (For the 210mm, I am interested in using the lens on both 4x5 and 8x10)
    Rodenstock Sironar N in Copal
    Schneider Symmar Convertible in Compur
    Computar in Copal

My Vote - Computar. Not as bright for focusing, but the coverage is hard to beat for the 8x10. Hat tip to Sandy King, for his call on the 210mm Computar not quite covering 7x17. Correct once again, Sandy........... :0( But, did get it for a stupendously good price...... :0)

90mm
    Nikon 90mm f/4.5 in Copal
    Rodenstock Grandagon f/4.5 in Copal

My Vote - Toss up, but leaning towards keeping the Nikon. I have the 65mm Nikon, and for the wide angle work, it seems to me that having the two Nikons would allow for having similar lens performance. Maybe I'm mistaken, but it would seem to make sense.

Thanks,

Ed
    Last edited by EdC; 17-Nov-2019 at 09:17.

Re: Culling the Lens Herd - Reducing duplication

Why not test the two wide-angles? Set up a shot, shoot one side of the holder with one lens. Change lenses and shoot the other side of the holder. Use your regular film and subject matter: process the film, look at the transparencies, or print to your usual size. See if you can tell the difference; between those two lenses it might be difficult.