Thread: 100mm filters

100mm filters

Anyone have experience with a decent set of black and white filters? I'd like to get a set for my Nisi holder. I'm looking at the lees and the Cokins

Re: 100mm filters

There are many urban legends about filters, and YMMV.

Regarding flare, a problem comes when you stack several filters that are not multicoated.

Cokins are pretty good... but best is that you evaluate filters with a DSLR, it's not the same than a LF camera, but it will easily tell a lot about effects in the image: print this (http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/ph..._test/USAF.pdf) and place it some 10 m far, shot it (tripod, VR off, mirror up) with prime lenses (both 24mm and 85mm if possible) with DSLR, see what happens in the small elements in the chart, evaluate flare...

My point of view is that filters have to be personally checked, see it first hand !

Main difefrence in filter effects in a View Camera vs DSLR is flare, DSLR evaluation will match the effect in a view camera using a compendium shade. Ragarding effects in image quality, those will mostly match, as the pixel density in dslrs are in the same effective range (order of magnitude) than in very sharp film.

So IMHO, you may not notice much if a single filter is cokin or lee (check it...) but you will run in troubles if stacking several non MC filters.

High quality 100 mm filters like Lee, Hitech, Sinar (made by Symcel) are very good, but you must be sure to protect them against straight ligth with a good lens shade, and be sure your filter holder shields the back part of the filters from back or lateral light. They can be extremely prone to flare if they are not properly protected. The back part of a Sinar Copal Shutter can hold these filters 100% protected.

Quote Originally Posted by hiend61 View Post
    protect them against straight ligth with a good lens shade, and be sure your filter holder shields the back part of the filters from back or lateral light. They can be extremely prone to flare if they are not properly protected. The back part of a Sinar Copal Shutter can hold these filters 100% protected.

An effective method to partialy avoid flare with 100 mm filters is to paint the filter rims in black with a permanent marker. This is very effective with clear filters like series 81, 82, and filters like UV, 5, 8, 11, 12, 15. (Numbers are Kodak Wratten).

Saw a YouTube ad for this...

http://www.winecountry.camera/

Seems to be a well thought out system.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Quote Originally Posted by ghostcount View Post
    Saw a YouTube ad for this...

http://www.winecountry.camera/

Seems to be a well thought out system.
    Thanks for the link. Fortunately, this system is available in Spain. I had the chance to have it in my hands. Itīs very very well made, and solves most problems with parasit lateral or back light. I have to check if the filter frames provided work well with colour compensating and colour correction filters from Lee, Sinar and other makers I regularly use. It seems that 2mm thick filters (Lee) will work well, but the rest of the 100mm filters I have are much less thick (1mm or a bit less).
    The hidden polarizing filter is simply amazing, and the idea of changing my resine ND grads for true glass ones sounds very well.