Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rethinking my 4x5 Field Camera choice

Huub

Re: Rethinking my 4x5 Field Camera choice

I use a Shenhao HZX-IIa with an universal bellows, which does all the things on your wanted list and then quite a bit more. Mine is fitted with a universal bellows, which allows the use of my 58mm with full movements on a flat lens board. I bet even the 47mm would work when fitted on a recessed board. I use the camera both for landscapes and architecture and i am very happy with it.

I have the Shen Hao HZX45-IIA camera, it does more than what is on your list.

I run a 65mm lens on a recessed board, I have bag bellows which is small and quick to change on the run; so to speak. Literally about 1½ minutes to change over.

I use bag bellows when using 90mm or smaller. For extreme movements with the 90mm, the bag bellows saves wrecking the standard bellows.

It is quite small, although not too light at 2.4kg for the camera alone; but it is quite sturdy.

Lenses I mainly carry are from 65mm through to 250mm; the camera works perfectly with all of these lenses. I have 400mm and 250mm telephoto lenses, but I seldom use them; but it works very well when I do use them.

I have used the wider lenses for architectural work and although not in the same league as my Toyo 45G monorail, it really isn't that far behind the Toyo 45G in what it is capable of.

Mick.

Although not the commonly available, Linhof Technika lens boards, I've used a lensboard system that I've been able to adapt to any of the many cameras that I've owned. This includes Calumet, Wista SP, Sinar, Sinar-Norma, Arca Swiss, Kodak 8x10, Cambo, etc. Native lensboards for many of these systems can be expensive, so imagine the expense I've been spared as I've experimented through all these different cameras.

The Linhof Technika lensboards offer the same flexibility. Adapters for Technika boards are available for just about any camera system. I see how having a custom adapter made for your current camera addresses your current needs. But, will this address your future needs? Might there be other camera systems that you'll want to try later on?

It might make sense to bite the bullet now and find a more versatile camera that none the less can accept Technika boards. Long term, that might be you best option.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

That's one reason why I stuck with Toyo-View: 4x5 field, 4x5 Monorail, 8x10 field, 8x10 monorail - they all take the same lensboards which are readily available and reasonably priced. All you need is an adapter for switching between formats.

Thomas

Small town, South Carolina, US

Yes, sensible idea. However, it is not so easy when you interchange lenses with a miniature Crown Graphic, Bush Pressman, Horseman 80mm boards and a Sinar.
    I have managed to make most interchange but it has taken a lot of effort.

Should have chosen my cameras with lensboards in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Although not the commonly available, Linhof Technika lens boards, I've used a lensboard system that I've been able to adapt to any of the many cameras that I've owned. This includes Calumet, Wista SP, Sinar, Sinar-Norma, Arca Swiss, Kodak 8x10, Cambo, etc. Native lensboards for many of these systems can be expensive, so imagine the expense I've been spared as I've experimented through all these different cameras.

The Linhof Technika lensboards offer the same flexibility. Adapters for Technika boards are available for just about any camera system. I see how having a custom adapter made for your current camera addresses your current needs. But, will this address your future needs? Might there be other camera systems that you'll want to try later on?

It might make sense to bite the bullet now and find a more versatile camera that none the less can accept Technika boards. Long term, that might be you best option.
    Absolutely right, Neil! This is what I'm trying to do.

With so many shops either closing, or carrying minimal large format gear (let alone finding someone who knows the merchandise), tapping in to a resource like this forum is incredibly helpful, and greatly appreciated. Personal research is important, but there is no substitute for people sharing their experiences.

THanks,

Ed

I have a 4x5 Technika IV, but for wide angle "field" use I prefer the Linhof Bi Kardan. An old camera but well made. I have the 5x7 back. The front has a kardan board that takes the 4x5 Linhof boards. The Bi is very flexible and will allow a 65mm or less lens to focus infinity, I have a 50mm f/6.3 Mamiya that covers 6x9 that works. When you are on a tripod the Bi is a pleasure to work with.

Ebony 4x5 wide is very attractive!

Quote Originally Posted by blue4130 View Post
    I switched from a nagaoka to a chamonix. In your list of requirements, I don't see anything that it can't do.
    After using many field cameras over the years, finally settled on a 4x5 Chamonix and never looked back. For shooting in the studio or out of the back of my car, a Sinar X is my first choice by far. But if I have to carry a 4x5 system fo any more than maybe 40 feet, the Chamonix system in a ThinkTank backpack is just a pleasure to carry and use. The Chamonix reflex back will spoil you for sure... can't remember the last time that I used a dark cloth with a 4x5 (with the Sinar X, Sinar's binocular reflex finder I find the ideal finder to use. Thought of adapting it to the Chamonix, but it would just take up too much space in my ThinkTank backpack. Lately have been taking 90% of my 4x5 Chamonix images with either a 300mm or 500mm Komura tele lens. You'd think that either lens would tax the stability of the Chamonix, but not so...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    After using many field cameras over the years, finally settled on a 4x5 Chamonix and never looked back. For shooting in the studio or out of the back of my car, a Sinar X is my first choice by far. But if I have to carry a 4x5 system fo any more than maybe 40 feet, the Chamonix system in a ThinkTank backpack is just a pleasure to carry and use. The Chamonix reflex back will spoil you for sure... can't remember the last time that I used a dark cloth with a 4x5 (with the Sinar X, Sinar's binocular reflex finder I find the ideal finder to use. Thought of adapting it to the Chamonix, but it would just take up too much space in my ThinkTank backpack. Lately have been taking 90% of my 4x5 Chamonix images with either a 300mm or 500mm Komura tele lens. You'd think that either lens would tax the stability of the Chamonix, but not so...
    Check out the Chamonix 45F2 , please. Takes Linhof boards, has twin knobs for separate front tilt and rise (a huge improvement on the earlier single control), weighs just 3.52 lbs, plus,it is simply beautiful to look at. Not the first consideration, I agree,but a factor,nonetheless.