Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LED Light Table?

Re: LED Light Table?

I'm not using it for copying rather for looking at chromes. Curious about the different readings. I imagine that's probably because there are dozens of LED's that make up the whole panel. So you can get various light outputs making up for the differences across the pad. A copying light probably had one or two lights thru a diffuser that evens out the light so it's spread better over the whole pad. Has anyone actually measure it like I just did to see whether or not the color and Kelvin is consistent?

Drew Wiley

You could try reading the same spots multiple times, but by turning the color temp meter somewhat different directions in relation to that, to see if you still get anomalous readings. But all this goes back to the fact that, even IF the little light sources were themselves consistent, there are other factors involved. No big deal if just sorting out chromes. I have something similar for portable casual viewing use.

In looking at the Kelvin numbers, there's about 2% total difference from all the readings from the "worse" to the "best". What that means to someone using it as a light source for copying, I don;t know. But the 2453 unit I measured is recommended by the manufacturer for that purpose.
    http://www.kaiser-fototechnik.de/en/...ge.asp?nr=2457

I just noticed that the film holder sits an inch or two above the surface of the LED light table. So the light will be diffused. When I measured the Kelvins, the NEC measuring puck was on the surface of the LED light table so it was more effected by the variables of the numerous LED's.

Drew Wiley

It's obviously something being marketing for amateur MF and 35mm slide work, and not for serious LF use. What I'd do is take a shot of a very even gray surface with larger film and a long enough lens to be devoid of falloff, then see how that copies over that light source in terms of illumination evenness. Color accuracy would requires separate tests. Just depends on how nitpicky your intended application is.

I use an Epson scanner. I bought the Kaiser unit to view slides and chromes, that's all. I figured since I had a NEC Spectraview II puck, I'd measure what the light table puts out as that info might be useful to others in making a selection either for viewing or for copy slides with a digital camera. I hope my research helped someone.