Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinion About FotodioX Pro Right Angle View Finder Hood for 4x5 Linhof Cameras

Opinion About FotodioX Pro Right Angle View Finder Hood for 4x5 Linhof Cameras

Hi, I am doing some product and food photography with my Linhof Technikardan and for some top down (flat lay) shots, I mount my camera on a heavy duty copy stand.

I really need to get a right angle reflex viewer and the Linhof branded version is crazy expensive and it takes a couple of months to get.

FotodioX makes one that is 1/4 the price, but if it sucks, it isn't of much value... Do you have any experience with the FotodioX Pro Right Angle View Finder Hood for 4x5 Linhof cameras? If so, please let me know what you think.

PS-
    Here is the link at B&H for this viewer - https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ngle_view.html

Much appreciate,

Larry

Re: Opinion About FotodioX Pro Right Angle View Finder Hood for 4x5 Linhof Cameras

One review here: https://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Find...ews/B00DBEQPV0

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Re: Opinion About FotodioX Pro Right Angle View Finder Hood for 4x5 Linhof Cameras

Thanks for that link. Since I am using mine in my tiny little studio (spare bedroom), some of these concerns may be less critical possibly. Anyway, thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslolens View Post
    One review here: https://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Find...ews/B00DBEQPV0

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    Thanks for that link. Since I am using mine in my tiny little studio (spare bedroom), some of these concerns may be less critical possibly. Anyway, thanks for that.
    Yes, that was my thought too, the same can be said for the Linhof, I suppose. I see the Cambo and Toyo are of other design, maybe those could fit the reviewer better

Have easily adapted an older plastic Cambo and an older metal Arca-Swiss to a Sinar. Would think also could be adapted to a Linhof. Adapting a Sinar binocular reflex is also an option to consider.

Why would you think that it would take so long to get? Have you checked with the Linhof distributor to see if it is in stock?
    OmegaBrandess in MD. And theirs does not have hinges to leak light and the entire image is viewable with its large 2x eyepiece. And, if you detach the eyepiece you have a nice hood to view into. If you release the lock the entire viewer will swing down, but stay attached to the camera, to let you get a higher power loupe onto the glass to focus critically since reflex viewers never have enough magnification for critically focusing. That’s why these are properly called a viewing aid!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Have easily adapted an older plastic Cambo and an older metal Arca-Swiss to a Sinar. Would think also could be adapted to a Linhof. Adapting a Sinar binocular reflex is also an option to consider.
    The Sinar was a Linhof accessory but it’s weight, combined with the pressure caused when looking into it, pulled the gg away from the film plane so the adapter was discontinued in the 80s.

Hi Bob, thanks for the info. As helpful as always! The timeframe was based on the lead time shown on the B&H website. I luckily found a used one that is supposed to be in mint condition for less than the third party copy, so I am really happy about that. I will know more once I receive it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Why would you think that it would take so long to get? Have you checked with the Linhof distributor to see if it is in stock?
    OmegaBrandess in MD. And theirs does not have hinges to leak light and the entire image is viewable with its large 2x eyepiece. And, if you detach the eyepiece you have a nice hood to view into. If you release the lock the entire viewer will swing down, but stay attached to the camera, to let you get a higher power loupe onto the glass to focus critically since reflex viewers never have enough magnification for critically focusing. That’s why these are properly called a viewing aid!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Just curious on this topic. It seem Linhof only makes one 45º finder. Does this fit the Technika cameras (specifically the V). I assume it attaches like the folding hood.

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    Hi Bob, thanks for the info. As helpful as always! The timeframe was based on the lead time shown on the B&H website. I luckily found a used one that is supposed to be in mint condition for less than the third party copy, so I am really happy about that. I will know more once I receive it.

Thanks
    Be aware, there were 2 different versions. The later, current one, is black and has 2 pieces that join together. The earlier version is an off white or cream color and is one piece. The 2 piece version allows you to position the eyepiece in position for horizontal or vertical viewing positions. The older one does not.
    Also:

It requires a fresnel screen, otherwise you will have a bright center with very dark surround.
    It locks onto that little metal, spike shape, stud in the center top of the gg frame. New ones are supplied with a couple of very small, thin washers that are used to make sure the viewer locks properly to the gg back.
    You might have to contact Linhof or a service center if these are missing and you don’t get the proper lock.
    To use them you just unscrew that stud and put one or two under the stud and screw it back in place.