Thread: Hello from various locations...

Hello from various locations...

Morning all - I've been lurking for a few days and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm still intending to watch for a while as of I'm perfectly honest, I do not have the time at the moment for a new hobby... One can watch and plan/dream though!

I'm currently living in Las Vegas, but writing this near Lincoln (UK) before heading down to Norfolk (UK) later today, then home tomorrow. I'm UK military, so "home" is something of a nebulous concept.

I've been in to photography since my early teens (rapidly spacing 40 now) with an AE1 to start, followed by a couple of APS-C DSLRs and most recently a couple of m43s (currently the G9, which is just a phenomenal camera!) But if like something which offers a contrast to the Panasonic's 60FPS - I have a Bessa R3M gathering dust, and whilst I love using it, I struggle to justify taking it over the G9. The one (normal) lens I have for our as well doesn't necessarily fit my preferred subjects (travel - of which we are doing lots in our three years in the States!) and landscape.

I am very tempted to trade it in for a 4x5 field system - I happened to see an article on the Intrepid Mk4 release, and have now fallen down the rabbit hole... When time allows, a lightweight 4x5, plus 2-3 lenses from 90ish through 210ish might find their way to me... For now though, I'm in the research phase, and am working my way through AA's The Camera (helped by our most recent trip being to Yosemite, including a visit to the AA Gallery, and a purchase of a reproduction one of his Half Dome shots).

I've not seen many reviews or comparisons of the Mk4 over the Mk3, but the camera's (relative) light weight appeals. Is there anything else or a similar weight, but with slightly more refinement? Thinking especially things like detents to keep the camera straight until (and if) I decide to introduce movements.

Re: Hello from various locations...

Welcome aboard!
    Sorry I know absolutely nothing about the Intrepid, but LF is a great deal of fun---enjoy the adventure!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Welcome! LFP is addictive!

Just home, and fired up from the reading I've been doing, I look to dig out the Voigtlander, only to find out that I put it in storage in the UK...

Plans currently on hold pending Christmas, then further savings

Welcome!

Any camera you buy will be replaced or by a second one, same with glass

Just begin

I HAD a Mark zero 4X5 Intrepid and right now going to look at Mark IV...
    Tin Can

Bid placed on a Schneider 90mm f8 with board from eBay. This camera will be bought in several lumps as funds allow...

Welcome!