Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Time tray developing film

Re: Keeping Time tray developing film

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    Mozart wrote the Minute Waltz (actually translates to miniature, but hey). We need some music for darkroom timing. Maybe the Normal Waltz, the Minus Etude, and the Push Polonaise. Something catchy.
    Chopin. Waltzes were not even a thing in Mozart's time. But, yes, using music is a great idea. There's a story about famous conductor Karl Böhm. He timed his soft-boiled eggs by mentally conduction through the overture to "Le Nozze di Figaro" (Mozart). Just the right timing for a perfect egg. But I digress...

Doremus

Les

Not sure this will do what you need, but from my understanding it beeps the last 10 sec of the sequence and it announces every minute. That sure beats having to watch anything. Also, the price seem to be approachable, as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP6Qgxkd4wg

Les

I bought one of those last month. "Designed" for the blind, sold by a Blind site. $15

I consider it junk. Special batteries, not common AA and difficult for me to set up.

It's already in the junk drawer and soon to be landfill. No recycling around here...

ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Not sure this will do what you need, but from my understanding it beeps the last 10 sec of the sequence and it announces every minute. That sure beats having to watch anything. Also, the price seem to be approachable, as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP6Qgxkd4wg

Les
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by freecitizen View Post
    I have an ancient device known as a tape recorder.

I made a 30 minute recording of myself as a speaking stopwatch ........ I just play that in the dark.

Works very well.
    I am sure it does. It just happens to be one of my possible hell-scenerios. To be trapped in a small dark space listening to my own voice...forever...

Fortunately, for 8x10 and smaller I have Jobo Expert Drums (3006, 3005) and I do daylight processing...and only my 11x14 is still done in trays. And in my small space that is light-tight enough, it takes some interesting tray manuvering in the dark...partly to keep the fixer tray covered as long as possible. Most of my alt print processing requires only dim-room conditions rather than darkroom.

I did open tray development, one sheet at a time, for 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10, for twenty years or so. Fortunately I do a lot of editing before exposing film, so my volume has always been low. But the time is wonderfully quiet and dark, and with constant rocking of the tray programmed into my hands, my mind was free to wander. And with surprises at regular intervals when I turn on the lights. The Jobo drums are faster, seems as even -- but the lights are on and the motor base is making its windy-grindy sort of noise. Sort of like my Svea stove backpacking...does a great job, but so nice to turn off!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Les

Randy, you can dismiss it, but the Thomas Scientific (identical) provides 2 AA batteries with the unit. I'd do like my uncle, buy two....and then play it in stereo :>) Actually, my uncle was self-learned repair dude and he would have second measuring device (even if it was expensive) to make sure at least one was properly calibrated (reference).

https://www.amazon.com/Thomas-5015-T...ustrial&sr=1-2

That is a different timer

I bought mine here http://www.braillebookstore.com/Talking-Timer-Clock.1

Notice it uses Two AG13 batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Randy, you can dismiss it, but the Thomas Scientific (identical) provides 2 AA batteries with the unit. I'd do like my uncle, buy two....and then play it in stereo :>) Actually, my uncle was self-learned repair dude and he would have second measuring device (even if it was expensive) to make sure at least one was properly calibrated (reference).

https://www.amazon.com/Thomas-5015-T...ustrial&sr=1-2
    Tin Can

Les

Randy, just read the details/functions on the timer and the name might be different, but the guts of the timer appear to be the same.

Les

Good, but I still don't like it

I like very simple things, it's not

Good luck!
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

I thought the darkroom was the place to escape the Muzak.

At home, I have music playing continuously, silence is deafening

Not muzak, as I have a fantastic community radio station, which I support with a few $

Also in DR and love darkness, so peaceful, I always feel great after a session

However when riding my bikes wind and birdsong is sufficient

I bought new cars without radios many times
    Tin Can