Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: First Forey Into 8x10 Format/ Intrepid 8x10 Camera

Re: First Forey Into 8x10 Format/ Intrepid 8x10 Camera

Well I managed to get some film holders for the camera. I still need to get a 300mm lens yet. But I have an adapter to use my 4x5 lenses on the camera, if they work on it. I managed to get a couple boxes of B&W 8x10 film. Stuff was expensive due to being hard to get film (expired as well). My other needs are some safety bags, 300mm lens, the 5x7 back, an Epson scanner, and a couple more boxes of film (C41 and more B&W). This is all still slow going. Might be end of year before I get my first shot on the camera. Camera looks to be in good shape though. I also got a carbon fibre 055 Manfrotto, since its more lightweight to carry then my aluminum one I have.

Why dont you try using your 4x5 lenses with some cheap B&w film? Reading something 10 times isn't as good as doing it once and doing it 10 times is more than 10 times better than doing it once. You don't even need film to see what coverage you are getting. A bright day, a dark cloth and maybe a loupe or readers are all you need. You will need to stop the lens down to get maximum coverage. My experience is that there was a learning curve moving from 4x5 to 8x10. I didn't shoot 5x7 until later. It's not harder but it is different and it takes practice.

Inventory what you have and figure out a way to learn with it NOW. You will be far better off if you do.

You don't even need film, you can use enlarging paper in the holders and make paper negatives which will show you the coverage. L

Which 4x5 lenses do you have? Not many, but some will cover 8x10 adequately with minimal wiggle room, when stopped down
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White