Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: First Forey Into 8x10 Format/ Intrepid 8x10 Camera

Re: First Forey Into 8x10 Format/ Intrepid 8x10 Camera

I have been offered an Agfa Ansco 8x10 camera for sale by someone. I know this camera isn't as light, but at least its well built. Is this a good option for me? Any info on this camera would be appreciated. I don't know what range of lenses I can use on the Ansco. I think I saw this camera might be 12 pounds, which is about the same as the Kodak 2D.

There are two of them. One has longer bellows than the other. Pre-WWII ones had a tripod block, but the ones after don't. They are good, solid cameras. I'm currently restoring one of these.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by braxus View Post
    C1
    Yousuf Karsh used one, he made the US presidential photographs from Eisenhower to Bush father, so it was the "Camera ONE" in fact

Today C. Burkett uses one: Min 4:12 >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doNGi8HeKQ4&t=703s , The C1 looks nice with that APO Tele-Xenar 800, but they are two people transporting the piece of gear !

Quote Originally Posted by braxus View Post
    I have been offered an Agfa Ansco 8x10 camera for sale by someone. I know this camera isn't as light, but at least its well built. Is this a good option for me? Any info on this camera would be appreciated. I don't know what range of lenses I can use on the Ansco. I think I saw this camera might be 12 pounds, which is about the same as the Kodak 2D.
    Ansel Adams used an Agfa Ansco Universal to good effect in Yosemite. Lens can usually fit between the rails when folded so it can be carried with the lens in situ.
    I have a 5x7 version of this camera and they are very well built, but there are different versions. The Universal has longer bellows and greater tilt available, IIRC.
    My 5x7 has a 5+" lens board so I'd guess the 8x10 has at least a 6"(many wooden US 8x10s at the time conformed to Kodak's 6" square lens board.
    Others here will be better able to confirm or deny this.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Well I'll be paying for my Ansco come this next Saturday, and should have it by months end, depending on Xmas mail service. I will see if my two Fujinon lenses can be used or if I'll have to get something different. Then its on to getting film holders, film, a larger change bag, a new Epson V850 scanner, and later another lens. This sure adds up, but Im hoping the kit will be complete when done. I'm also getting the 5x7 back with the camera, so I have that option too. I'll need 5x7 holders for that too. Gas anyone?

Camera is on its way. I should have it by January 2nd.

I received the camera today! It came in undamaged condition and it all looks as it should. Next step is to get the 5x7 back next month. Then later the accessories needed.

Congratulations!
    You should be able to find film holders and other stuff on the FS forum after you've been here 30 days.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I tried to post pictures on this thread, but it wouldn't upload them to the site. Hence no pics.

Anyway my model is the USA later version of Ansco 8x10. Where on the camera do I find the serial number? The name plate doesn't show it on it, and I can't see where else to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by tim48v View Post
    There's a reason Ansel had a pack mule when shooting 8x10! Frankly, the weight of the camera is minor compared to all the other stuff you'll have to carry. Heck, my tripod weighs more than my Calumet (I have the magnesium version.)

The Calumets are underrated in my option. They are really solid and smooth cameras. More movements than you'll ever need. Insane bellows length (32"?) The only thing I dislike is the "film plane" focusing (the film plane moves, not the lens plane.)

I've always focused with the film plane but is there a benefit from focusing with the lens plane?