Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: First Forey Into 8x10 Format/ Intrepid 8x10 Camera

Re: First Forey Into 8x10 Format/ Intrepid 8x10 Camera

Quote Originally Posted by axs810 View Post
    I've always focused with the film plane but is there a benefit from focusing with the lens plane?
    I've always focused with the lens plane too.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I think I found the serial number. It is a really low number, which tells me not many of this model were made.

Quote Originally Posted by axs810 View Post
    I've always focused with the film plane but is there a benefit from focusing with the lens plane?
    My thinking is that because the lens plane weighs less, by focusing with it I don’t off balance the camera as much. That said, I’ve never had issues with the camera wobbling or anything when focusing with the film plane, so there might not be any real difference

Quote Originally Posted by braxus View Post
    I received the camera today! It came in undamaged condition and it all looks as it should. Next step is to get the 5x7 back next month. Then later the accessories needed.
    Have you made sure the bellows are in good condition? I bought my first 8x10 earlier this year, and found while searching that the bellows can often have issues even if they don’t appear to at first. Luckily making new bellows doesn’t require any specialized tools if they are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    Have you made sure the bellows are in good condition? I bought my first 8x10 earlier this year, and found while searching that the bellows can often have issues even if they don’t appear to at first. Luckily making new bellows doesn’t require any specialized tools if they are needed.
    Put your camera in a darkened room with the bellows fully run out and shine a flashlight inside, inspecting the bellows for pinholes in the corners. Close up any pinholes with liquid electrical insulation or handle dip, and leave out overnight to dry before folding the bellows.

That ought to take care of things.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

iirc, focusing with the film plane changes the size of the subject. lens plane focusing less so, if at all. If I wanted to change the composition slightly, I would adjust it by racking the film plane in or out. For subtle changes, it beat nudging the tripod and camera a couple of inches.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I checked the bellows today. I couldn't see any light leaks with it, and the bellows is a fairly thick material. So it seems I'm okay. Im also getting the 5x7 back in the near future, so Im working on that too. I see a store in California has some 5x7 Portra in a 50 sheet box for sale. I might grab some of that next month.

the problem with focusing the lens plane can be that the object distance and the image distance are both changing simultaneously. As far as I can tell, this is really only an issue when trying to work close up.

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    the problem with focusing the lens plane can be that the object distance and the image distance are both changing simultaneously. As far as I can tell, this is really only an issue when trying to work close up.
    That's exactly right. You'll never notice the difference at distances measured in feet. Close-up, like tabletop, focusing with the lens standard you will chase yourself in circles focusing, reframing, refocusing, etc.
    -Chris

Focusing the back negates many problems when up very close, as front focusing changes the lens to subject distance and changes different optic relationships that screw up even simple focus changes... Actually leaving the focus locked on both stages is better, and using a focusing rail under camera that moves the entire camera back and forth is best to tune final focus up close...

And what's best about rear focus on a big camera is the focus knob is in the rear, so much easier to turn right in front of you (especially under a darkcloth) than stretching to find the focus knob up front... ;-)

Steve K