View Poll Results: What ULF format(s) are you using?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • 11x14

27 43.55%
  • 7x17

14 22.58%
  • 8x20

14 22.58%
  • 12x16

0 0%
  • 14x17

14 22.58%
  • 12x20

12 19.35%
  • 16x20

3 4.84%
  • 20x24

4 6.45%
  • Other

13 20.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll: most used ULF formats

Re: Poll: most used ULF formats

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    You can split hairs over whether 7x11 qualifies as ULF by our definition here - if you do the arithmetic on the nominal 7x11 size it barely does, if you use the actual film dimensions or the actual dimensions of the exposed area of a sheet, it barely doesn't. I didn't include it when I answered the poll.

But I like it a lot.

The Jobo 3004 drum is perfect for 7x11, so in principle a nice solution already exists, but it is pretty hard to find these days.
    Oh, I can split hairs even finer than that Oren. I use adhesive film holders for 7 by 11, so there is no part of the film that is hidden by a film guide. So for me, both the nominal 7 by 11 as well as the actual film size qualifies according to the definition here.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    Oh, I can split hairs even finer than that Oren. I use adhesive film holders for 7 by 11, so there is no part of the film that is hidden by a film guide. So for me, both the nominal 7 by 11 as well as the actual film size qualifies according to the definition here.
    I'll see you and raise you: the actual film size of factory-cut 7x11 doesn't quite make it, so exposing the whole thing is of no avail.

Now if you're cutting your own sheets from larger film stock to exactly 7x11, and using adhesive holders for that...

Nah, on second thought I concede regardless. Your camera-building and -modifying exploits are far more Ultra than anything I'll ever do, and so I happily doff my proverbial cap and accept your judgment of Ultra-ness. < thumbs-up emoticon >

Thanks, but I really wouldn't want to have to make the case for 7x11 being ULF. If it were up to me, I would set the lower limit at 10x12 and/or 7x17 (or even, 5.5x14 as a nod to Vaughn), say a diagonal of 15" or greater.

But, then, I really don't think of 4x5 as LF (my 4x5 seems more like a toy camera compared to my 11x14, or even compared to my 8x10), so what do I know? I'm very happy there are Moderators like you to decide such things.

I gave up arguing that 1/4 plate was as effective as 4 X 5 with lighter cameras, yet I shoot them only with sheet film

But I do see my 7 X 11 as bigger than 8 X 10 because the Eastman #2 7 X 11 is so much bigger than the average 8 X 10 box

Oren always wins as he should considering all the work he and all Mods do

I have this model, but not Garrett's camera, https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1133364
    Tin Can

Yeah, it's funny... my intuitive sense of relative size for formats is driven by area rather than diagonal, and by that measure 7x11 is a bit smaller than 8x10. (But yeah, the Eastman #2 is big and HEAVY. The Korona is easier to handle, but alas even harder to find.) And I agree with Michael, having done so much messing around with larger formats, 4x5 feels *small*, not large. But then if I'm going to go small, somehow quarter plate feels more right to me than 4x5.

As always, YMMV. But it's nice that there's such an amazing array of formats to choose from and that, on the whole, it's easier to get factory-cut film for them than it was when I was getting started more than twenty years ago. Good times...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    Thanks, but I really wouldn't want to have to make the case for 7x11 being ULF. If it were up to me, I would set the lower limit at 10x12 and/or 7x17 (or even, 5.5x14 as a nod to Vaughn), say a diagonal of 15" or greater...
    My thoughts, too, but 5.5 x14 ends up being 77 sq inches...same as 7x11. Sure feels like a bigger negative! But it does not matter what it is classified at. The film and camera are 11x14 and that is what I lug around!

5x7 is pretty sweet. A nice travel size.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    and 11x14 film is available year round
    Order from Fotoimpex in Europe and you can get pretty much any size year round: https://www.fotoimpex.com/shop/syste...cache=0&sort=6

Does my 10x24 pinhole camera count? I put in 3 pieces of 8x10 film. It's made of a metal can ~10" dia. and the distortion is "interesting." If not, subtract one vote from "other."

Why wouldn't it count?

I have done the same flat with two 8 X 10 making 10 X 16"
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Why wouldn't it count?

I have done the same flat with two 8 X 10 making 10 X 16"
    Very curious how you shot 10 x 16?

I have thought of doing this, but haven't acted on it yet.

Thanks,
    Michael