View Poll Results: What ULF format(s) are you using?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • 11x14

27 43.55%
  • 7x17

14 22.58%
  • 8x20

14 22.58%
  • 12x16

0 0%
  • 14x17

14 22.58%
  • 12x20

12 19.35%
  • 16x20

3 4.84%
  • 20x24

4 6.45%
  • Other

13 20.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll: most used ULF formats

Poll: most used ULF formats

Hi all,

a friend is designing and building an innovative tank for the development of ULF films. It would be quite helpful if he could have an idea of the most popular ULF formats because he must make a couple of design decisions and would like to hit the (commercial) sweet spot as close as possible. Sure, a truly valuable statistics would be the distribution of the formats in the Ilford ULF sales channel, but I assume that Ilford will be somewhat reluctant to provide it

The only second best I can think of is a poll on this forum!!

So, please, let us know! THANK YOU!!

Re: Poll: most used ULF formats

Other: 5.5x14, but shot on 11x14 film, so probably counts as 11x14 for your purposes.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I'll put in a plug for 7x11, the smallest ULF format (13+" diagonal). Film will not fit conventional 8x10 tanks, so a dedicated size of tanks and hangers would be great.

I know there are at least a few more 7x11 users; hopefully they will speak up.

For all the 11x14 users, as Vaughn mentioned, you can shoot two 5.5x14" images on one sheet of 11x14 film; and, you can also shoot two 7x11s on one sheet of 11x14 film (ask me how, if you don't know how to do this).

I like the 7x11 aspect ratio so much I decided to make my own dedicated, horizontal 7x11 camera and cut 11x14 film in half. Much less bulk and weight than dealing with an 11x14 camera and holders.

(Shrek)

I loved 11x14, and as a bonus it's not that hard finding lenses for that format. Unfortunately I can't carry it anymore, so I had to divest.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    I'll put in a plug for 7x11, the smallest ULF format (13+" diagonal). Film will not fit conventional 8x10 tanks, so a dedicated size of tanks and hangers would be great.

I know there are at least a few more 7x11 users; hopefully they will speak up.

I like the 7x11 aspect ratio so much I decided to make my own dedicated, horizontal 7x11 camera and cut 11x14 film in half. Much less bulk and weight than dealing with an 11x14 camera and holders.
    You can split hairs over whether 7x11 qualifies as ULF by our definition here - if you do the arithmetic on the nominal 7x11 size it barely does, if you use the actual film dimensions or the actual dimensions of the exposed area of a sheet, it barely doesn't. I didn't include it when I answered the poll.

But I like it a lot.

The Jobo 3004 drum is perfect for 7x11, so in principle a nice solution already exists, but it is pretty hard to find these days.

Poll: most used ULF formats

Based on cameras that are available used I’d have to say the following are the most used ULF formats in declining order: 11x14, 7x17, 8x20, 12x20, 14x17, 16x20. I did a survey of available film a few years ago and that suggested your best bet is 11x14 for square format or 7x17 for panorama format. You can read it here: https://www.angusparkerphoto.com/blo...format-for-you

But I’d have to say tray developing is easy enough with only a few sheets. Jobo tubes work well for me up to my largest format 14x17 but not with Pyrocat-HD which tends to leave the rib marks on the film. It’s also tedious as hell only doing one sheet at a time. If I could have any new product it would be an Jobo Expert Drum for 11x14... maybe three or four sheets as I don’t think it would take more.

Is each vote from a different user or are there users responding that use more then one size ULF?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Is each vote from a different user or are there users responding that use more then one size ULF?
    Multiple votes possible.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Seems like the polling results above (which I couldn't see on the iPad) seem to match what I have observed in the classifieds.

and 11x14 film is available year round
    Tin Can