Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: petzval like lens for my 8x10 Bernard

Re: petzval like lens for my 8x10 Bernard

another problem..... import fees..... grrrr

for 4x5 camera I already have a schneider 270 mm f 5,6 for my linhof supertechnika (good for set portraits).... so my main need is to lens for 8x10 ... if this lens fit on my linhof 4x5, good ... but this isn't indispensable.

In the end, because I'll use film negative (example delta 100 or panf50 and NOT Wet Plate) and in some case Harman's direct positive paper, a lens without shutter isn't a good choice if I'm right...

I've saw on ebay that there are some versions of Aplanat with shutter, but no one with long focal lenght (over 300mm \ 14" )....

Luca

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Hey Luca,

I'm not being sarcastic, but I own several soft focus and Petzval lenses that would cost way too much $$$ for me now, but I have had good luck shooting with single element scrap optic lenses that cost little to nothing, and I would try these first before spending a lot on an expensive lens that may or not match your camera or shooting style (if you want a special effect lens)...

A lens from a magnifier (that is the right FL) will have a sharp center, but focus will fall off severely near the edges (which you might like or not)... Since you don't need fancy stuff like a shutter or iris, these are good to try...

If you can find a watch glass (from science), they can make a nice meniscus lens if you are lucky...

Then there are cheap lenses from copiers etc that are in a barrel, some old ones even have an iris, and can be had for $5-$25... Some are very sharp, but sometimes you can remove or flip an element inside for a VERY different effect...

One thing you should do now is measure the bellows extension of the camera to see how far it can stretch out, as that will determine what lenses will work, but also how close the camera will focus for the work you want to do...

That's Steven and Steve's advice...

Steve K

I agree with this advice 100 percent. I do a lot of portrait type of work with old petzval lenses. In addition to Steve's advice, looking for an old magic lantern petzval lens is a very affordable option. Note that I shoot with Delta 100 film a lot and you won't have fast shutter speeds normally. Easy to just expose manually uncovering with the lens cap or using the "Galli Shutter approach". Of all my lenses, only one or two have shutters. You might also get a packard shutter which is normally about 1/25th sec.

One of my most successful lenses for 8 x 10 is the front half of an old Ilex Projection lens I got from Jim Galli. Even though the full lens gives an image size of about 4 x 5, using either the front or back half easily covers 8 x 10.

These lenses will give you many different options of softer focus images which can be very nice for portrait work. If you want sharper focus portraits, go with more modern lenses with built in shutters.

Hope this helps.

Between here and there

You could also look for a LUC or Gitzo shutter to put on the front of the lens - the LUC shutters are made in a few sizes. Like the Packard, they are limited to one speed (1/25 s).
    "Be still and allow the mud to settle."

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer View Post
    I agree with this advice 100 percent. I do a lot of portrait type of work with old petzval lenses. In addition to Steve's advice, looking for an old magic lantern petzval lens is a very affordable option. Note that I shoot with Delta 100 film a lot and you won't have fast shutter speeds normally. Easy to just expose manually uncovering with the lens cap or using the "Galli Shutter approach". Of all my lenses, only one or two have shutters. You might also get a packard shutter which is normally about 1/25th sec.

One of my most successful lenses for 8 x 10 is the front half of an old Ilex Projection lens I got from Jim Galli. Even though the full lens gives an image size of about 4 x 5, using either the front or back half easily covers 8 x 10.

These lenses will give you many different options of softer focus images which can be very nice for portrait work. If you want sharper focus portraits, go with more modern lenses with built in shutters.

Hope this helps.
    Thank Dan for your advice, and thanks to all.

So you use Delta 100 without problem with a shutterless lens. I assume you work in a studio, in an anvironment with not too much light as outdoor.

It’s right to say that in outdoor, with a shutterless lens, is difficult to use film negative (like Delta) and large aperture (like f5,6 or f8) ?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi View Post
    You could also look for a LUC or Gitzo shutter to put on the front of the lens - the LUC shutters are made in a few sizes. Like the Packard, they are limited to one speed (1/25 s).
    1/25th is a not too bad time for portraiture!

Quote Originally Posted by berserkLuca View Post
    Thank Dan for your advice, and thanks to all.

So you use Delta 100 without problem with a shutterless lens. I assume you work in a studio, in an anvironment with not too much light as outdoor.

It’s right to say that in outdoor, with a shutterless lens, is difficult to use film negative (like Delta) and large aperture (like f5,6 or f8) ?

Most of my work is indoors but I was shooting some portrait work with Delta 100 a couple of weeks ago outdoors in subdued shade at about F6.5 with my packard shutter (about 1/25th sec) and the negs turned out fine for the exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer View Post
    Most of my work is indoors but I was shooting some portrait work with Delta 100 a couple of weeks ago outdoors in subdued shade at about F6.5 with my packard shutter (about 1/25th sec) and the negs turned out fine for the exposure.
    Perfect, one question: what type of shutter you use? On front lens or in the rear? There are some front lens shutters With a variety of shutter times?