Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oriental paper scarcity

Oriental paper scarcity

I just attempted to stock up on my favorite paper, Oriental Fiber based, and found it back ordered at B&H and Freestyle. I called Oriental Photo USA and was informed that they are expecting a shipment but things are sort of in flux- that there had been a large price increase and there were 'negotiations' going on. I certainly hope this paper does not disappear. Now I have to print on Multigrade...I am now crying here...

Re: Oriental paper scarcity..

Check with Palm Beach Workshop or Pitman?

Hi Bob. Art has no more gel. silver photo paper at all. Pitman is a good ides. I will call them. Thanks Bob.

Pitman is now all Ilford. Not what is used to be... We used to by tons of stuff from then when I was at The Miami Herald. Times change..

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Bedell View Post
    Pitman is now all Ilford. Not what is used to be... We used to by tons of stuff from then when I was at The Miami Herald. Times change..
    Quite a change from the old place when they were all Kodak then!

Yes, kind of sad really..

If you are really dying, order it from Yodabashi or another place in Japan. If they won't ship it to the US there is a guy that goes by Japan Camera Hunter.. Have him get it for you... Probably won't be cheap, but you are dying...

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Bedell View Post
    Hi Bob. Art has no more gel. silver photo paper at all. Pitman is a good ides. I will call them. Thanks Bob.
    What about Samy’s, Midwest, Arlington Camera, Fort Worth Camera, Nelson’s, George’s, Glazer’s, Adorama, K&H.

Let me look tomorrow or the next day. I received some Oriental paper with a color head purchase. No idea what the three packages are. I'll post when I find them. (step daughter and grandson are in the way of the darkroom entrance at this time).

Re: Oriental paper scarcity

Seems that distribution has often been a problem for them. In 1982 or so, I was working as b/w printer in a custom lab, and the regional(?) Oriental sales rep visited. He gave us a box of 8x10 Oriental 'Center' warm-tone paper to try out. I asked about some of their Seagull G and he told me "we can't get any right now" or words to that effect. And this was when they were running full-page ads in all the photo magazines, featuring Brett Weston's famous picture of the canal and trees! Perhaps it was too successful at the time.
    Some years later I bought some Seagull for myself... a marvelous paper it was too. A shame that it disappeared... Robbie, I hope you find some paper!