Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HC110 1:63 mushy flat negatives dilution H

HC110 1:63 mushy flat negatives dilution H

I just pulled my first test negatives out uaing HC110. Reporting low contrast. The low values are not as dense as I had hoped. I believe they are least 2 stops thinner than with my D76 or Pyro process. I haven't had a chance to print these and I suspect they would print but not as easily as preferred.

The overall density is lower than ideal. Flat and I suspect would print gray and mushy.

I went off the massive dev charts times.

ei 200
    HC110 dilution H 1:63
    21c
    8 minutes

I am thinking about increasing the development time to 10 minutes but also would like to see if anyone else has encountered this and tried a higher concentration while keeping the development time down.

I agitated 1 minute then 10 seconds every consecutive minute. Does HC110 perform better with constant agitation?

I shot a few more test sheets today and want to process tonight. Let me hear what works for you guys.

Re: HC110 1:63 mushy flat negatives dilution H

What film?

If you are going to increase the time, do so. But not from 8 to 10 minutes, go at least to 12 minutes. (11.2 minutes would be a one stop increase)

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    What film?
    Right that's kind of important: HP5+

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    If you are going to increase the time, do so. But not from 8 to 10 minutes, go at least to 12 minutes. (11.2 minutes would be a one stop increase)
    Thanks for the oversight. I think time is the easiest variable to adjust at this point.

It would also be good to know whether you're in a tank, trays, or what, how many sheets at once and what the total volume of developer is. You may not have enough concentrate to get the job done with a small volume at 1:63.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

https://imaging.kodakalaris.com/site...mistry/j24.pdf doesn't mention dilution H. Is that since the 'new' formula I saw in recent posts on this forum? I don't know. But do check page 7 on that PDF about developer capacity, that could be your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
    https://imaging.kodakalaris.com/site...mistry/j24.pdf doesn't mention dilution H. Is that since the 'new' formula I saw in recent posts on this forum? I don't know. But do check page 7 on that PDF about developer capacity, that could be your problem.
    Dilution H is not one suggested by Kodak. Thus it is not mentioned in their literature. It is one that someone, possibly unknown, thought to publish many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Dilution H is not one suggested by Kodak. Thus it is not mentioned in their literature. It is one that someone, possibly unknown, thought to publish many years ago.
    http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/

Lots of (not Kodak official) info on HC-110 here.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Its been awhile since I've used HC-110 on a regular basis...having, by and large, gone over to pyro and pyrocat (staining) developers. But I've recently begun to reconsider a return to HC-110 - at least for certain types of images. My hope is that this "new" formula of HC-110 can compare favorably to the old one, assuming also that there will likely be some "tweaks" necessary to achieve this.