Thread: Linhof Technika 4x5 parts... Need 2 screws... Hard to get!

Linhof Technika 4x5 parts... Need 2 screws... Hard to get!

Slowly restoring a Linhof Technika IV... a beautiful camera and simple to work on (because the parts are so big... not like a shutter or a miniature camera).

I have yet to find a part to attach the board to the front standard... specifically the Lagerschraubu/ Screw... the 2 screws that allow the tilt pivot on a Linhof Technika 4x5... (Linhof part #063944.1.001.45)

Basically a small 14mm steel screw with a hole drilled through it... This hole (to slide in a compression washer to hold it tight) significantly weakens the screw and it is where mine have broken...

I have found repair shops that claim to have them but none willing to actually sell me one...

Linhof AG of Munich Germany stocks the parts and will sell them for 12 Euro each... catch is I have to visit the factory in Munich Germany... asked about shipping and they said I would have to wire money to their bank and pay 40 Euro in shipping for the 24 euro screws... They suggested I get them from their repair distributors in the U.S.... I contacted all 3 (percision, Laflex, Nipon) and although they confirmed they had them they all refused to sell any parts!!! Said if I send them the camera they will be included with the $500 CLA service fee... NICE

I asked my local camera guy, and he is sure he could make them but figures about $120... He said I should be able to eventually get a parts "lens standard" for half of that...

I might be able to buy a parts front standard to get them... I could get them from the standard of a model IV, V, Master, and the Color Technika monorail as well...

I don't have the skills/tools to drill out a spare screw I'm afraid... After thinking about it here is what I'm currently thinking...the holes are only needed for the tiny compression washers to hold them in place... I can just fill the ones I have with solder and make them whole without the holes... then I can just a little loc-tite to keep them in place instead of the compression washer... I won't have time for the project till next year so I am in no hurry...

I figure if I haven't solved this by next Octoberfest I really ought to visit Munich...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Linhof IV front standard Screw hole.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	197349 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5195.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	197350 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2134.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	197351

Re: Linhof Technika 4x5 parts... Need 2 screws... Hard to get!

Why not ask a local machine shop if they can make one?

Or ask Bill at Precision in Charlottesville, VA.

What is the thread on that screw? You may be able to get a plain screw with the same threading but not the hole as a stock item. I don't know exactly how that fits together, but I'd be concerned that if you repair them with solder and loctite them in, the screw will break again and you won't be able to remove the stub because of the loctite.

As a stopgap until you get the right part, maybe some other kind of washer or a retaining clip (E-clip) would work to hold the plain screw in place.

Shouldn't be hard to make. But need more dimensions to make a replacement. Things like diameters, thread type, length of the threaded part, place and diameter of the cross hole and type and size of head.

40 euro for sending it isn't exaggerated here in Europe. I pay 15 euro for a simple parcel, not insured and not signed for inside belgium. So if this is international and includes custom paperwork it looks correct to me. Postage here isn't cheap.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Until you don't find a suitable/original replacement you may use a fully threaded bolt with a metal/plastic tube/sleeve to simulate the "shoulder" of the bolt.

Or search "Shoulder Bolts" in specialized web shops and ebay, probably it's metric.

https://www.mcmaster.com/shoulder-screws

(Click metric and sloted)

I'd proceed with next to modify the head diameter, if necessary: protect the thread with several tours of kitchen plastic, mount the bolt in a regular electric drill like if it was a regular drill bit, it will be taken by the "shoulder", so thread won't be damaged, then make the head rotate on sandpaper or on an abrasive surface.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xxx.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	197365

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Why not ask a local machine shop if they can make one?

Or ask Bill at Precision in Charlottesville, VA.
    I second this suggestion - Bill at Precision has machined different items for me over the years. Good quality, good service and reasonable prices.

Once needed to replace a few screws in a vintage camera. Went to the machine shop in our local technical high school. The reproduced the screws exactly and precisely for only a donation of just $20.00, which I readily agreed to pay. In the end we both profited. Have had several parts machined by them for minimal donations. Again we both profited from the transactions.