Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Starting with ULF

Re: Starting with ULF

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Think about the question you're asking a bunch of GAS infected folk. If in your heart of hearts you're story is that you aren't affected . . . OK.
    Yup have the 12 and 14” G-Claron then up to the 19” Artar. Never felt the need for the 450 Nikkor

A 270mm or 305mm G-Claron might be more your cup of tea, for a wide angle on 11x14.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

GAS IS GOOD!

Our Gas will run out and in time another generation will find what they desire

Just as we did
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Those seem to be very close in focal length. Why would someone have two fairly expensive lenses so close together?

Kent in SD
    Because they're there. Both are big coverage modern lenses with modern coatings in modern shutters. I had both until last summer I (somewhat regrettably) sold my Nikkor M-450. But, like Jim F, I can use the 19" component of my Cooke XV instead. Choice between Nikkor and Cooke... Are you kidding???

Quote Originally Posted by pkr1979 View Post
    Whoa... I didnt see the minimum quantity you have to get of Portra 160 on the BH website.

I expected this to cost abit, but I am in no immediate rush. I will also have to explain to my wife how this is not a bad idea and that will give me some time to save up. Im getting in touch with Keith to see how he organizes getting color film... If that becomes to much of a difficult (costly) to obtain I will not need a reducing back. Its an interesting offer Jim, and yep, shipping it will be a substantial part of a total cost. Maybe I will have to build my own as well ;-)
    Curious why you want to shoot 11x14 color. I have done it and concluded it’s overkill for my purposes. Do you mind sharing your goal? Color contact prints, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    A 270mm or 305mm G-Claron might be more your cup of tea, for a wide angle on 11x14.
    Have that also

A 300mm Dagor works fine as a wide-angle on my 11x14 by f/32, as does my 305 G-Claron, as another poster has noted. The Fujinon 250mm/6.7 original W is claimed to have an 80 degree coverage and that "should" work if you don't need a lot of movement. These are typically not very expensive on Ebay.

For longer focal lengths, the 19" and 23" cells of my B&L Protar VII set have adequate 11x14 coverage. The 12" +/- Protar VIIa combination of these two cells may be a bit tight on image circle for 11x14.

Unless you are planning to scan and greatly enlarge an 11x14 negative rather than contact print, the optical demands upon the lens are not exceptionally high and, IMHO, can be met by quite a number of affordable older options. Good contrast will likely be more important than sheer resolution if contact printing or only printing to small enlargement ratios.
    Last edited by Joseph Kashi; 11-Jan-2020 at 17:36.

I bought a Nikkor-W 360mm F6.5 with good shutter. It has more coverage than the 450 Nikkor.

Yes it is big but so is everything ULF. The lens is the smallest bit

I like Nikkor and newer shutters.

Here on Ken Lee's website is the complete Nikkor brochere. http://www.kennethleegallery.com/pdf...rmatLenses.pdf

Scroll down for coverage data.
    Tin Can