Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Starting with ULF

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: Starting with ULF

Quote Originally Posted by pkr1979 View Post
    This might be a bit silly, however, Im thinking a 14x17 camera with a 11x14 reducing back - does such a thing exist? That would allow me to work with color on 11x14 and BW on 14x17. And a lens between 460mm and 560mm.
    Not silly but it would be the way to go if you were going to shoot both formats. On one had you are talking about shooting x-ray film because of cost and now 11x14 color film? You are just dreaming I hope?

I've built 5 14x17 cameras and they are not cheap to build but I can do it for about $3,000.00 on the cheap. Reducing back $500.00 Film holders are $450.00 each and 11x14 maybe $300.00, a lens 19" Artar, $500.00 . Shanghai film ISO 100 is about $100.00 for 10 sheets. Tripod system maybe a Ries series A with head $1,200 or more. So what is that without the color film about $6,000 to $7,000. Just some rough figures. With the Chamonix system you will need to use their holders and they are $600.00 each in 14x17 plus the camera. My 14x17 is just like the Chamonix.

11x14 color film? Most likely a special order from Kodak and it would be a minimum of $10,000.00. Keith Canham may have some and I know he does special orders for color film so he would be the contact.

As far as a 14x17 goes I have one for sale. It can do up to 16x20 horizontal. It is set up as a 14x17 and a reducing back could be made. In the past I've offered it as a package with the camera, 24 inch Artar, film holder, box of Bergger 200 expired film, backpack all for $3,000.00. Shipping to Norway would be very expensive is the only thing. When you go to this size it is very expensive all the time.

Hope this helps give you the idea of some of the costs involved.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fullsizeoutput_3d59.jpg   fullsizeoutput_3d63.jpg  

Whoa... I didnt see the minimum quantity you have to get of Portra 160 on the BH website.

I expected this to cost abit, but I am in no immediate rush. I will also have to explain to my wife how this is not a bad idea and that will give me some time to save up. Im getting in touch with Keith to see how he organizes getting color film... If that becomes to much of a difficult (costly) to obtain I will not need a reducing back. Its an interesting offer Jim, and yep, shipping it will be a substantial part of a total cost. Maybe I will have to build my own as well ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by pkr1979 View Post
    Hi all,

I do 810, and Im considering larger formats. However, what does one need to consider before getting into this when it comes to the different formats, cameras/lenses, film availability and price?

Cheers
    Peter
    The cost of film holders comes to my mind. Used 11x14 and larger are quite expensive!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    The cost of film holders comes to my mind. Used 11x14 and larger are quite expensive!
    They go used for $150 often, but you're not guaranteed that the specs are the same from one to the next...which is true for all ULF holders.

I'm awaiting the arrival of a new 11x14, I've been shooting 8x10 for a number of years. My question to you all is what would be considered a "prime lens" for that size?

I've been shooting x ray film on occasion and have never had any problems with it. I have not seen it in a two sided emulsion. You might want to try ZZ Medical (I don't have any connection to them). ZZ has the film in green or blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamelageewhizz View Post
    I'm awaiting the arrival of a new 11x14, I've been shooting 8x10 for a number of years. My question to you all is what would be considered a "prime lens" for that size?
    2 lenses in almost every ULF kit; 355mm G-Claron, and 450mm Nikkor

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    2 lenses in almost every ULF kit; 355mm G-Claron, and 450mm Nikkor

Those seem to be very close in focal length. Why would someone have two fairly expensive lenses so close together?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

For ULF work I use for my 8x20 a 360mm Rodenstock Gerogon and a 21 1/4" Kodak Ektanon. Both inexpensive lenses in barrels. Stopped down to 64 I don't need the weight of a shutter. For the 14 x17 I use the 19 inch component of my Cooke XV triple convertible along with the 25 inch component and my 30 inch Artar.
    Brass lenses for these is a whole different story as I have those as well.

For my 11x14 I used a 15inch and 21 1/4 inch Ilex process lenses. Both sharp and contrasty. For my landscapes I don't need the shutter. When I use the brass lenses I have Packard shutters.

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Those seem to be very close in focal length. Why would someone have two fairly expensive lenses so close together?

Kent in SD
    Think about the question you're asking a bunch of GAS infected folk. If in your heart of hearts you're story is that you aren't affected . . . OK.