Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Starting with ULF

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Starting with ULF

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Tray processed my 11x14 negatives till a few years ago. Had always wanted to switch to processing my 11x14 negatives using JOBO drums but couldn't find a "large format sheet film drum" a JOBO #3027 for processing 11x14 negatives FS anywheres. Took a chance and acquired a JOBO #3062 drum, which JOBO recommended for only processing (2) 11x14" prints. Found it to work fine for processing 2 11x14 negatives at a time. I believe I once read a post by Oren Grad that he also uses a JOBO #3062 to process his negatives, but maybe wasn't him that posted that, not sure. Anyways, a while back seriously considered acquiring a 16x20 camera which was up at auction. Researched out acquiring a JOBO #3028 large format sheet film processing drum for 16x20, and was quoted a hefty 4 figure price so just passed up on that whole endeavor. 11x14, safe to say, is the largest format that I will ever use. Never was able to find out what was so special about JOBO's #3027 and #3028 large format sheet film drums, except that the film had to be "loaded on a custom built insert and then placed into the drum" per my out dated JOBO catalog.
    Although I use the 3005 drum for processing 8x10, I have on several occasions used the 2840 print drum to develop 2 sheets of 8x10. All you need is the clips to keep the sheets separated which also makes it a snap to load. I suspect the inserts perform the same function as the clips. Never had a problem other than sometimes they are hard to remove when the water is drained from the tank. Although I haven't tried it, unloading the sheets with a full tank of water would eliminate that.

Thomas

It gets narrowed down then. Im not so keen to carry 2 tripods so Im not going larger than 14x17.

About X-ray film, is it so its not as sharp because of double sided emultion? Does X-ray film with emulsion on just the one side also exist for ULF (either as deafult or to cut down)? I think its awailable with emulsion on just one side for 819?

And, ahem... where are these things sold cheap?

a photographer seller on ebay is selling single sided (ektascan b/ra) 14x17" for our uses. I have no connection....

Darkroom space, sink sizes/space and a suitable lightsource (and space for the lightsource)are extremely important, especially if to get into alternate processes.

Print mounting via dry mount tissue requires a huge press.

If you choose alt process consider a size where x-ray film can be easily used. 8x20 is not so friendly to x-ray film but 7x17 is. 14x17 x-ray film is usable right out of the box, or can be easily cut to size for 7x17. There is no 20x24 or 16x20 x-ray film. While x-ray film is substantially cheaper, that may change as more hospitals switch to digital.

A really stiff and robust (read heavy) tripod is a requirement as you are basically going to mount a kite on top of it.

Good luck

This might be a bit silly, however, Im thinking a 14x17 camera with a 11x14 reducing back - does such a thing exist? That would allow me to work with color on 11x14 and BW on 14x17. And a lens between 460mm and 560mm.

Have a look on here (to see what is and could be available):-

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/ac.../reducingbacks

regards

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Plume View Post
    Have a look on here (to see what is and could be available):-

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/ac.../reducingbacks

regards

Andrew
    Very cool - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pkr1979 View Post
    Very cool - thanks!
    thanks

much appreciated

regards

Andrew

Where are you going to get 11x14 colour film in Europe? As far as I know, Fotoimpex sells colour film in 8x10, but not larger. Provia 100 (€22,75/sheet) and Portra 160 (€27,5/sheet) and 400 (€30,50/sheet). Ouch.

It will have to be from BH. They sell Portra 160.