Thread: Copal 3 Shutter Anomaly?

Photographer

Copal 3 Shutter Anomaly?

According to the information on the SK Grimes website, Copal 3 shutters have a mounting thread of 62mm, and Copal 3S shutters have a mounting thread of 61mm. I have a lens in a shutter that is marked “Copal 3” that has a mounting thread of 60mm. The lens is a 210 Angulon and the serial number dates it to 1965. Has anyone else encountered a Copal 3 with this smaller mounting thread?
    Keith Pitman

Re: Copal 3 Shutter Anomaly?

Keith there are several different versions of Copal 3 shutters. See this post:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...Copal+Varriant
    I hope that post helps. If you are purchasing a Copal 3 shutter and its not obvious which Copal 3 it is you should ask the seller for specific dimensions.
    I learned that lesson several times.

Les

I agree with OKAROB....the different Copal 3 versions didn't drive me to drinking, but there was frustration when I tried to install a ring to hold the lens from the rear. Epay had some rings that supposed to fit, but it got to the point, that I had to get a local machinist to make the appropriate fit. This was "conventional" Copal 3 and not the 3s. Just saying....

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    According to the information on the SK Grimes website, Copal 3 shutters have a mounting thread of 62mm, and Copal 3S shutters have a mounting thread of 61mm. I have a lens in a shutter that is marked “Copal 3” that has a mounting thread of 60mm. The lens is a 210 Angulon and the serial number dates it to 1965. Has anyone else encountered a Copal 3 with this smaller mounting thread?
    If it's like my Angulon 210 in a Compur Electronic #3, then it has a threaded brass conversion tube splitting the difference between its originally-designed-for-Compound-3 threads and the threading of the Copal #3.