Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Ideas For Simple 8x10 Contact Printing Solution

Seeking Ideas For Simple 8x10 Contact Printing Solution

We are getting ready to move in a couple weeks to a smaller house and my space for making enlargements is going away and so I am going back to making 8x10 contact prints.

Seeking some simple ideas on how to make a DIY type contact printing setup that I can use in my guest bathroom and then put away when not using it.

I already have a good contact printing frame, so all I really need to figure out is the light source (type of light, watts, distance from printing frame), how to use variable contrast filters under the light source.

I am sure whatever I come up with won't be as good as the collective group here, so I am really looking forward to hearing your idea.

Thanks!

Re: Seeking Ideas For Simple 8x10 Contact Printing Solution

You need a computer controlled closed loop lighting system with quartz timing and a regulated power supply to produce any meaningful photographic work...or maybe not...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Edward-Westons-Darkroomx816.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	197132

Well, as funny as it sounds, finding regular incandescent lightbulbs aren't as easy as you think any longer... Plus, a lightbulb hanging from a wire probably won't cut it for the guest bathroom. Edward may approve, but I am not thinking my family will be quite as supportive...

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    You need a computer controlled closed loop lighting system with quartz timing and a regulated power supply to produce any meaningful photographic work...or maybe not...

Name:	Edward-Westons-Darkroomx816.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	197132

David Schaller

Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    Well, as funny as it sounds, finding regular incandescent lightbulbs aren't as easy as you think any longer... Plus, a lightbulb hanging from a wire probably won't cut it for the guest bathroom. Edward may approve, but I am not thinking my family will be quite as supportive...
    The light bulb hanging doesn’t need to be permanent. Just put a hook in the ceiling and bring in the lightbulb on a wire when you print. It’s handy to have it plugged into a timer. This works easily with Azo /Lodima papers, but you could probably figure it out for enlarging papers without an enlarger.

Quote Originally Posted by David Schaller View Post
    The light bulb hanging doesn’t need to be permanent. Just put a hook in the ceiling and bring in the lightbulb on a wire when you print. It’s handy to have it plugged into a timer. This works easily with Azo /Lodima papers, but you could probably figure it out for enlarging papers without an enlarger.
    I print with enlarging paper, typically Ilford MGIV WT or Silver Chloride papers which require significantly different volume of light. For the Ilford paper I am working on a solution to diffuse the light and be able to slide multi grade filters under the light source and also have a dimmer attached to a timer. Then I am thinking I will just switch out the bulbs for each type of paper. I’m playing around with concepts for making a light stand out of pvc pipe because I can’t install anything permanent in the guest bathroom and I need to be able to store it when not in use. It’s a lot of fun working through the different ideas to eventually settle on the one that’s best for me.

For contrast control, I'd use the same Rosco gels I used below my 8x10 coldlight. You can cut big pieces to cover you entire printing frame from the inexpensive rolls. You can make a set of Y30, Y60, Y90, etc. much cheaper than the large Ilford MG filter sets. These are somewhat calibrated, you see on the label "1 Stop" so one stop is by definition 0.3 log d and the filter grade is "30", so the "60" is two stops etc.

There should be no need to diffuse the light if the light has not first been collimated. That is, if not using an enlarging lens or a reflector bulb, the light is already diffuse. Raising and lowering the hanging bulb will be better than a dimmer because a dimmer affects the color temp.

Name:	Rosco Yellow.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	197141

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    For contrast control, I'd use the same Rosco gels I used below my 8x10 coldlight. You can cut big pieces to cover you entire printing frame from the inexpensive rolls. You can make a set of Y30, Y60, Y90, etc. much cheaper than the large Ilford MG filter sets. These are somewhat calibrated, you see on the label "1 Stop" so one stop is by definition 0.3 log d and the filter grade is "30", so the "60" is two stops etc.

Name:	Rosco Yellow.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	197141
    That’s a super idea!!! Thanks for sharing that.

Maybe stock up on these lamps?

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 7.43.34 AM.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	197143

I use a Printfile contact printer under a cheap old 35mm enlarger used for the light source, plus a timer.
    It's pretty high tech compared to the sheet glass and light bulb I used to use, but don't let that scare you!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I use a Printfile contact printer under a cheap old 35mm enlarger used for the light source, plus a timer.
    It's pretty high tech compared to the sheet glass and light bulb I used to use, but don't let that scare you!
    That’s a great solution and similar to what I’m doing now but we are moving and this is the reason I am checking on a very simple solution that I can use on demand in the guest bathroom and then store when not in use. We have no extra room so it makes it challenging for me when I’m used to having a full Darkroom.

Then I realized I wanted the solution to be small and portable enough to make contact prints when I’m on the road and forced to stay in a hotel or a friends house. What started off as a negative for me has turned into new opportunities. Funny how that works...