Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Photos with Super-Angulon XL 58 vs. 72 mm Lenses?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    282

    Photos with Super-Angulon XL 58 vs. 72 mm Lenses?

    Anyone have photos of any kind that you have taken with your Super-Angulon XL 58mm or 72mm lenses?

    I am trying to decide if I want the crazy wide 58, or go with the very wide 72 lens.

    I was thinking some sample photos may sway me one way or the other and plus, it is always fun to see everyone's best photos.

    Thanks

    Larry

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    144

    Re: Photos with Super-Angulon XL 58 vs. 72 mm Lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    Anyone have photos of any kind that you have taken with your Super-Angulon XL 58mm or 72mm lenses?

    I am trying to decide if I want the crazy wide 58, or go with the very wide 72 lens.

    I was thinking some sample photos may sway me one way or the other and plus, it is always fun to see everyone's best photos.

    Thanks

    Larry
    It's neither 58 or 72, but I think the 65mm is underappreciated.
    https://www.flickr.com/groups/65mm_f8_angulon/pool/

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    282

    Re: Photos with Super-Angulon XL 58 vs. 72 mm Lenses?

    Thanks for the link to your photos! I was thinking in terms of differences, meaning 72 and 58 were the outer edges of what I think I might like. I had a 47XL once before and never could bond with that lens and I have a 90XL. I appreciate the photos!

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    144

    Re: Photos with Super-Angulon XL 58 vs. 72 mm Lenses?

    Gotcha! Fwiw, I really like the 65mm, though I don't have a camera that really can get the most out of it. I built a LF camera body for it, would love a dedicated bag bellows body for it. I think 65mm is a good wide field of view, would definitely suggest a f5.6 if you can find one, the f8 needs a really good hood.


  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    282

    Re: Photos with Super-Angulon XL 58 vs. 72 mm Lenses?

    Thanks Bob. I am on the hunt for a lens. My plan is to use it on my Linhof Technikardan. I need to do some basic research to confirm the shortest lens I can use on my camera, but I am pretty confident a 58mm or 65mm is easily withing limitations with a bag bellows (which I already own).

    Thanks


    Quote Originally Posted by bobbotron View Post
    Gotcha! Fwiw, I really like the 65mm, though I don't have a camera that really can get the most out of it. I built a LF camera body for it, would love a dedicated bag bellows body for it. I think 65mm is a good wide field of view, would definitely suggest a f5.6 if you can find one, the f8 needs a really good hood.


  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    144

    Re: Photos with Super-Angulon XL 58 vs. 72 mm Lenses?

    I don't really know, but I'd imagine with bag bellows either would work. Things get cramped at those focal lengths, definitely pushing a limit. Sounds like a fun camera!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 1998
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    12,894

    Re: Photos with Super-Angulon XL 58 vs. 72 mm Lenses?

    Quote Originally Posted by LFLarry View Post
    Thanks Bob. I am on the hunt for a lens. My plan is to use it on my Linhof Technikardan. I need to do some basic research to confirm the shortest lens I can use on my camera, but I am pretty confident a 58mm or 65mm is easily withing limitations with a bag bellows (which I already own).

    Thanks
    45mm is shortest with the bag bellows and recessed board on a TK.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts
    498

    Re: Photos with Super-Angulon XL 58 vs. 72 mm Lenses?

    Here is one with a 55mm APO-Grandagon.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	conv_center.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	197073

    And this one is with a 75mm Caltar II-N.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alcove_001.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	197074

    That's not the exact lenses you were asking about but they're close.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

    www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    282

    Re: Photos with Super-Angulon XL 58 vs. 72 mm Lenses?

    Hi Mark, yes, these are great. I am actually open to any of the super wide angels, I was just thinking about the Super Angulon XL's because of their performance and I have other versions of them. Thanks for sharing these! Really like the compositions on both.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Aurora, Colorado
    Posts
    498

    Re: Photos with Super-Angulon XL 58 vs. 72 mm Lenses?

    Here are a couple more shots for comparison.
    These two were shot at 55mm.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	creek_002.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	154.5 KB 
ID:	197076 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dcpa_001.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	197077

    These two were shot with the 75mm lens.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	steves_trail_bw_002a.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	193.4 KB 
ID:	197078 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vetrans_Monument001.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	197079

    I hope that helps. For what it's worth, I like both focal lengths.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

    www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •