Thread: 4x5 Arca Swiss F-Metric - loose horizontal shift adjustment knob

4x5 Arca Swiss F-Metric - loose horizontal shift adjustment knob

Dear All,

Recently one of the adjustment knobs (rear standard, horizontal shift) on my 4x5 Arca Swiss F-Metric got loose and now have lots of backlash. I took a short movie to better describe this issue - link.

Have you experienced a similar issues in the past? Is it something I could easily repair myself?

Thank you in advance,

Andrzej

Re: 4x5 Arca Swiss F-Metric - loose horizontal shift adjustment knob

I don't know that anything on an Arca Swiss can be "easily repaired yourself", I'd try, but the thought of having to pay someone to put it all back together again prevents me from doing it. I can recommend Precision Camera Works in Illinois as the Arca authorized repair place. If everything else is working ok, it shouldn't cost too much, the worst part is having to wait a week or two.

Beautiful camera though!

I would send it to Bob at Precision Camera Works. At the very least, you could get an estimate and go from there. Perhaps it might not be that difficult to repair.

I have an Arca Swiss metric camera, and I'm careful not to over-tighten that lever. It think that it's a weak point in the metric design.

Some time ago, I sent the camera to Precision, and Bob did a complete CLA to both function carriers. It was kind of expensive, but I'm glad that I did. It operates better now; and, a CLA helps to prevent wear, especially on tilt.

Thank you all for the feedback. I did contact Precision Camera Works and the CLA did sound "kind of expensive"...Also, they warned me regarding to turn around time. I may use them in the future.

FYI, the "repair" was actually quite easy. You need to remove rubber sleeve and tighten M3 setscrew (need 1.5mm hex drive). The knob is mounted on a rod with flattened section. You need to tighten setscrew agains flat portion of the rod. Glad it was so easy.

It might be worth applying some thread locking compound to stop the grub screw loosening again?

Mike