Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Durst Componon and Componon. What is the difference?

Durst Componon and Componon. What is the difference?

Hello Members,

Hope you are well.
    I have got a question, and someone maybe can help me.
    Do you know if there is any difference in performance as sharpness...etc. between the Schneider Kreuznach Componon and the Schneider Kreuznach Durst Componon lenses?
    Let's say the year of the construction, the focal length and the wider apperature are the same. (Actually the only different can be notice is the Durst name, added on the front on the durst componon lens.)
    Do I think well, the diferent is only on the thread diameter?

Thank you:
    Tamas

Re: Durst Componon and Componon. What is the difference?

There shouldn't be any noticeable difference, they are built to the same specifications.

Engraving...

Steve K

I see, thanks for the reply.
    So the only different is the Durst Componons made for the Durst enlargers? Is there different size of mounting on the Durst enlarges?
    I think I saw linhof componon as well, but can be wrong, not remember clearly.

I've got a couple of old Durst badged Componon lenses that have 25mm threads rather than the more common 39mm, just check that your enlarger lens board has the same thread to the lens you are looking at. Those are for 35mm / medium format rather than large format though.

Thanks for all help, clear now.

Drew Wiley

There is a significant difference between Componon per se, and later Componon S, and still later Apo Componon. Various Durst mounting rings are available for the turret. But once a lens simply gets too big in diameter, you'd have to resort to a non-turret disc with a fixed central hole of correct diameter. These are hard to find, but can be made by any reasonably equipped machine shop. What specific Durst enlarger do have in mind, and how large of a film format are you contemplating?

Well, I have a 4x5 Sinar F2 and I use the Intrepid Enlarger Kit for converting the camera to be an enlarger.
    I used to go in a community darkroom and they had the Durst Componons. In that time I enlarged 6x6, so I used the 80mm. I bought my own componon, the componon-s 100 for 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9 but I noticed decline in the qualty. I (maybe) see less sharpness but the tones are just not the same than with the older componon.
    However I use different paper, but the advanced one (for tonality) but I really think the quality dropped because of the lens. (Otherwise everything is the same, developer, methods, temperature...etc.)
    The paper I used was the Ilford Multigrade RC Deluxe Pearl VI, for the prints with the Componon-S I used the 5th version, where the company promised better tonality.
    I believe there is some special character the "simple" componon hold and that is I mainly missing from the prints not so much the sharpness. It is maybe something simmilar as some (or most) of the leica lenses are got?
    So as I said, in the community darkroom there were durst componon, but on online, I see better quality and more option to buy from the "simple" componon and I did not find anything on the web about my question after deep search.
    The bord for the lenses has 39mm tread.

The Durst branded lensed did come in Durst mounts, but you could get the non-Durst branded lenses in those mounts too.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	three1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	218584
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	three componon-s tripla smaller.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	218585

Quote Originally Posted by Tamas View Post
    Well, I have a 4x5 Sinar F2 and I use the Intrepid Enlarger Kit for converting the camera to be an enlarger.
    I used to go in a community darkroom and they had the Durst Componons. In that time I enlarged 6x6, so I used the 80mm. I bought my own componon, the componon-s 100 for 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9 but I noticed decline in the qualty. I (maybe) see less sharpness but the tones are just not the same than with the older componon.
    However I use different paper, but the advanced one (for tonality) but I really think the quality dropped because of the lens. (Otherwise everything is the same, developer, methods, temperature...etc.)
    The paper I used was the Ilford Multigrade RC Deluxe Pearl VI, for the prints with the Componon-S I used the 5th version, where the company promised better tonality.
    I believe there is some special character the "simple" componon hold and that is I mainly missing from the prints not so much the sharpness. It is maybe something simmilar as some (or most) of the leica lenses are got?
    So as I said, in the community darkroom there were durst componon, but on online, I see better quality and more option to buy from the "simple" componon and I did not find anything on the web about my question after deep search.
    The bord for the lenses has 39mm tread.
    How do you align and maintain the alignment? You have a glass negative carrier? Did they in the darkroom you used?