Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: identifying an Omega enlarger

Re: identifying an Omega enlarger

Looks like a D5XL with a lens turret and dichroic color head.

I believe this is the fine focus of the D6:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-02 at 1.25.47 PM.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	197116

In terms of voltage, the non-regulated D supply can have three terminals on the primary of the transformer, you can put the wire on the correct one for your location, but only 117, 110 or 100AC. From what I can tell the Chromegatrol, with its ferroresonant transformer, had two separate versions with two separate input voltage requirements; 120 or 230AC and you can't convert one to the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post

I have an urge to replace all the cables and wire the head for full 24V operation, replacing the pilot light and fan.
    For electrical safety? Ok, but I'd get a second transformer for that, unless you go with a lower wattage main lamp (subtract the wattage of the lamp from the wattage of the new fan). But already for big 4x5 prints with multigrade filtration, you may have long print times with the full wattage lamp.

I don't think this is a complete instruction manual, but it has some useful information the Dichroic head, etc.
    OmegaD3andD5.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    Looks like a D5XL with a lens turret and dichroic color head.
    Be aware that the lens turret requires special boards for some lenses if you want the turret to rotate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Be aware that the lens turret requires special boards for some lenses if you want the turret to rotate.
    yup, certain EL-Nikkor 50 lenses won't allow the turret to spin. Either add another board to decrease lens depth, or use another version of the EL that will work.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    yup, certain EL-Nikkor 50 lenses won't allow the turret to spin. Either add another board to decrease lens depth, or use another version of the EL that will work.
    Not quite that simple. For Rodenstock, Schneider and Nikon lenses Berkey had an 8 ½ x 11 double column sheet listing the boards required for each lens on the turret. Some would not work regardless of the board.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I believe this is the fine focus of the D6:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-02 at 1.25.47 PM.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	197116
    If you mean the large knob, yes, that is present (other side of the one I took a photo of). It was stuck because the grease had hardened. Bit of cleaning with some petrol loosened that up nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    For electrical safety? Ok, but I'd get a second transformer for that, unless you go with a lower wattage main lamp (subtract the wattage of the lamp from the wattage of the new fan). But already for big 4x5 prints with multigrade filtration, you may have long print times with the full wattage lamp.
    No, not specially for electrical safety, but to get rid of the 230/110 transformer and all the US connectors (and special adaptor box for them). I would change the cables because some are slightly damaged and the insulation is hardening. While doing that it wouldn't be that hard to replace the fan by a 24V type just like the 110Vac lamps in the head. From what I read on the net, the head gets 110Vac continuously to power the fan and a lamp while the 24V for the enlarging lamp is only active with the timer. Just putting in a stabilised 24V psu, maybe split for enlarging lamp and fan/lamp.

Haven't had the head open yet. Will have to do it, even if only to get the dust of all those years out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    I have 3 lens mounting boards that came with it. For 50, 80 and 105mm. The 105mm has a kind of cone on it, other 2 are flat. Under the flat ones there were kind of washers. This is one of the reasons I'd like it to be positively identified so I can look at the correct parts if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    The community lab I volunteer at has a room full of these, minus the dichroic head. None have the microfocus from what I can recall. btw, are you missing the head elevation lever ?
    That lever is still attached to the head, don't worry. I'll have to replace the foam however as that is crumbling.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Different lenses of the same focal length from the same manufacturers can require different boards for the turret due to the physical length of the rear lens group.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter View Post
    I don't think this is a complete instruction manual, but it has some useful information the Dichroic head, etc.
    OmegaD3andD5.pdf
    Thanks for that one. I had found a D2 manual, but this one is better legible and corresponds better to the enlarger I have. So it is now clear to me that this is a D5 with optional turret but without masking and without the micro-focus as I do not see any belt-drive reduction.

I have sent the same photos to OmegaBrandess as Bob suggested and I'll wit their opinion as well.

Thanks for all the help!
    Expert in non-working solutions.