Thread: Paper similar to Hahnemühle Photo Rag

Paper similar to Hahnemühle Photo Rag

Hi everybody! I'm looking for a silver gelatin paper similar to digital Hahnemühle Photo Rag which I'm in love with. Can someone recommend me a paper with that velvety surface for contact printing?

Thanks!

Re: Paper similar to Hahnemühle Photo Rag

It's probably impossible to find something with an identical surface, but matte fiber papers sometimes have a 'velvety' surface. Fomabrom matte comes to mind. Of course any silver gelatin paper can be used for contact printing, so that should be no limitation. I would personally exclude RC papers as they always have a certain plasticky sheen to them and they are never properly 'velvety' (although they can be very nice in their own right).

Quote Originally Posted by Nano View Post
    Hi everybody! I'm looking for a silver gelatin paper similar to digital Hahnemühle Photo Rag which I'm in love with. Can someone recommend me a paper with that velvety surface for contact printing?

Thanks!
    Perhaps you may like ILFORD MULTIGRADE ART 300 , it is silver gelatin made just on Hahnemühle paper , a bit expensive but it's a top quality product.

See texture in min 11:57: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCAXNM7Mi5g in the video the texture is seen a bit "exagerated" because it is magnified.

For contact printing use a point source illumination that is as far as posible (say 2m) , the colimated illumination the better, if light reaching the negative is diffuse then the paper's texture may slightly blur the image, this is even more important with this paper because it has texture.

Probably this paper is a bit fast for contact printing, so you may use an alluminium foil under the bulb with a hole to adjust power to have a suitable exposure time. Of course you may throw some additional red light to see better the negative, if you are to dodge/burn...

Short answer is that there's not really anything with the very slight texture of HPR - ART 300 is closer to the toothier etching rag/ watercolour paper textures. Handcoating HPR with liquid emulsion may be worthwhile - the receiver coating tends to grab & hold aqueous emulsions pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Perhaps you may like ILFORD MULTIGRADE ART 300 , it is silver gelatin made just on Hahnemühle paper , a bit expensive but it's a top quality product.

See texture in min 11:57: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCAXNM7Mi5g in the video the texture is seen a bit "exagerated" because it is magnified.

For contact printing use a point source illumination that is as far as posible (say 2m) , the colimated illumination the better, if light reaching the negative is diffuse then the paper's texture may slightly blur the image, this is even more important with this paper because it has texture.

Probably this paper is a bit fast for contact printing, so you may use an alluminium foil under the bulb with a hole to adjust power to have a suitable exposure time. Of course you may throw some additional red light to see better the negative, if you are to dodge/burn...
    Or do as Edward Westondid - cover the bulb with layers of toilet tissue.

Thanks to everyone for the tips. I have an almost whole box of ART 300 and the truth is that I did not like the results in portraits I have to say that I use an enlarger as light source. I will to try a punctual and distant light. Also the idea of ​​handcoating the RAG paper seems very interesting.

Nano, please see The Light Farm books, by Denise Ross

Also you may see in youtube a video by Ron Mowrey, hand coating paper.

You may buy VC emulsion, so you even have Variable Contrast

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Nano, please see The Light Farm books, by Denise Ross

Also you may see in youtube a video by Ron Mowrey, hand coating paper.

You may buy VC emulsion, so you even have Variable Contrast
    I was going to mention this as well.. Something really great for the right person.. pick the style of paper , pick the emulsion characteristics, I believe this is a real viable option. I plan to have someone at my shop
    specialize in this.

Bob

Denise Ross is a very approachable person and has the handle on this.. she would be excited to hear others taking up her charge.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Denise Ross is a very approachable person and has the handle on this.. she would be excited to hear others taking up her charge.
    We are privileged to have her