Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whole Plate, 8x10

Re: Whole Plate, 8x10

And I can vouch for Hugo's wet plate holders! I have three (4x5, 5x7 and 8x10) and they are so well engineered that they make handling plates almost effortless. I have a converted 8x10 film holder (made into a wet plate holder) and it is far less pleasant to use: it is always a struggle to get the job done with it. The Chamonix holders are far easier to work with. Five stars for Chamonix holders!

Foamer

I do use a Chamonix 5x7 wet holder. It's better than the Lund 4x5 I have.
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

As far as historical, 10x8 field cameras were available in England in 1855.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by quickeye View Post
    As far as historical, 10x8 field cameras were available in England in 1855.
    Thanks! That is a surprise.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

24 x 30 cameras (I recently bought one) are pretty cheap and you can make backs for other formats without too much problems.
    I intend to do the same as you eventually. 24 x 30 might be a little ambitious for wet plate field work, I figured I will use smaller backs and work my way up to it. At the moment Im using 24 x 30 xray film, makes a decent sized print. I think 8 x 10 is barely big enough.

Let me correct one of your assumptions about whole plate: I will make any size dry plate needed for as long as there is a demand. I shoot whole plate myself (as you know), and so will always make that size for my own needs at the very least. Whole Plate is a size that I buy the glass pre-cut and notched, the demand is so great. So yeah, the demand that Hugo sees for his whole plate holders matches what I see on the dry plate making side of things.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Let me correct one of your assumptions about whole plate: I will make any size dry plate needed for as long as there is a demand. I shoot whole plate myself (as you know), and so will always make that size for my own needs at the very least. Whole Plate is a size that I buy the glass pre-cut and notched, the demand is so great. So yeah, the demand that Hugo sees for his whole plate holders matches what I see on the dry plate making side of things.

I am curious how well whole plate sells compared to 5x7 and 8x10? Is it less than both or more than 5x7 but less than 8x10? I would guess the sales volume goes something like this: 4x5, 8x10, 5x7, quarter plate, whole plate, half plate. The European sizes are there in the mix too but I'm not familiar with them.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria

I picked up a nice WP camera from japan..bought the chamonix holders and had Richard Ritter make me a new back. The camera is super light and I have an old protar brass lens that probably weighs 3/4 of an ounce plus other lenses for it. I bought film from ilford several years ago on the special run. It's a great negative. I dont do wet plate...

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I am curious how well whole plate sells compared to 5x7 and 8x10? Is it less than both or more than 5x7 but less than 8x10? I would guess the sales volume goes something like this: 4x5, 8x10, 5x7, quarter plate, whole plate, half plate. The European sizes are there in the mix too but I'm not familiar with them.

Kent in SD
    Kent, Whole Plate is more than 5 x 7 but less than 10 x 8 i.e. 55.25 square (but in effect probably a little less)

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Plume View Post
    Kent, Whole Plate is more than 5 x 7 but less than 10 x 8 i.e. 55.25 square (but in effect probably a little less)

Andrew
    ah, I now see that you're referring to 'sales volume and that answer I'm afraid I do not have..............................

Andrew