Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Single Travel

Re: Single Travel

Drew is right on.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Whenever camping alone in the middle of nowhere I always mark my territory at the 4 cardinal points using my personal hose.

Not kidding and have done it for decades.

We are animals...
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Whenever camping alone in the middle of nowhere I always mark my territory at the 4 cardinal points using my personal hose.

We are animals...
    https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science...ld-study-finds

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post

We are animals...
    I trust you're at least 100' away from any body of water.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

of course, even in MN we knew that

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I trust you're at least 100' away from any body of water.
    Tin Can

Since we're discussing effluvia,
    I've "discovered" human waste on the Four Mile trail to Glacier Point in YNP
    ---Just like the Tenderloin in SF!
    Four Mile is a busy, narrow trail with no mineral soil for burial or privacy, so that's definitely one hazard to be aware of in Yosemite!
    FWIW, mule poop smells much better and can be easily kicked off the trail if you're wearing leather hiking boots.

A long time ago I camped on Puerto Penasco beach. The beach was pristine windblown sand with no facilities of any kind. I was with 3 people from Phoenix

As we set up, a lone armed horseman rode up and demanded $5 each to camp the weekend. We paid. Not crowded.

I swam alone into a riptide being a fool from MN. Nobody noticed, but I did figure out to swim sideways and just make it back to sand. Lucky once. Exhausted

Looking to plant excrement I walked over the high sand drift inland. The sight was shockingly horrible, toilet paper for miles. We did use a shovel and bury, but that wind...

That night we went to sleep, 2 couples in a small tent camper. For some reason I took my wallet out and slept on it. The morning came and the other 3 had lost all their cash, from quiet canvas slit cuts. Obviously a hand had been busy. Purses were outside.

We cooked huge shrimp direct from a trawler in boiled seawater, that was very good

At that time the Colorado river was barely a trickle meandering into the Sea of Cortez

and I had enough cash to get us home
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Drew is right on.
    Yep, he is.

I spend some time outside in national parks/forest, hiking, trail running (not with an LF camera!), and so on. The things I worry most about and carry stuff to deal with are:
    - being caught out after dark without a light, or headlamp fails
    - spraining my ankle or similar injury
    - rain / cold due to weather or being out after dark
    - being out after dark because I sprained my ankle
    - getting lost
    et cetera.
    Animals and people are pretty far down the list.

Take a separate small handheld GPS that operates on AA batteries with spares. Mark (waypoint) your car in the GPS before you go into the woods so you know exactly where it is when you want to return to it. It doesn't help to know where you are if you don't know the coordinates of where your car is. Automatically record "bread crumb" trail in the GPS as you hike in so you can follow it back along the route you took getting in. Otherwise the GPS will take you back in a straight line across areas that would be difficult or impossible to transverse.

Don;t count on your cell phone for navigation. It'll go dead on you or have some other issue.