Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I Drum Scan, X1 Flextight Scan, or use the Epson V850 w/Aztek Wet Mount Kit?

Re: Should I Drum Scan, X1 Flextight Scan, or use the Epson V850 w/Aztek Wet Mount Ki

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    To add to the last sentence, I digitized a 5X7 negative using 16 shot pixel shift, photographing with a 105 mm Micro Nikkor (film era) to compare with a drum scan previously made with a Howtek at 2000 dpi. The pixel shift file looked OK on my large monotor, but close up comparison with the image made with the drum scan showed the pixel shift file to be of lower image quality.

Sandy
    Excellent, thanks for the addendum--I suppose the crux is as always defining "good enough," but for my purposes the possibility of even getting close to a drum scan with off-the-shelf, dual use equipment is very attractive. (FWIW, what I was getting at with the 5x7 remark was how its aspect ratio matched-up with a 24x36 sensor--positing a "one-shot" capture, the I'm not sure you'd ever see the difference between 5x7 and 8x10, or perhaps even between 6x9 and 4x5.)

Re: Should I Drum Scan, X1 Flextight Scan, or use the Epson V850 w/Aztek Wet Mount Ki

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I move the negative, keeping the camera on a very sturdy, stable and well-aligned support structure.
    Thanks! I've been shooting film and printing in various color and B&W darkrooms. As the last color darkroom closed in WA last year, I'm finding that I'm having to print color in LA. Which is leading me to look into digital workflows that I'm not familiar with to print on an inkjet.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Excellent, thanks for the addendum--I suppose the crux is as always defining "good enough," but for my purposes the possibility of even getting close to a drum scan with off-the-shelf, dual use equipment is very attractive. (FWIW, what I was getting at with the 5x7 remark was how its aspect ratio matched-up with a 24x36 sensor--positing a "one-shot" capture, the I'm not sure you'd ever see the difference between 5x7 and 8x10, or perhaps even between 6x9 and 4x5.)
    Yes, in principle I would like to get all of the detail out of a scan, as scanning negatives is very time consuming.

I have found that with 5X7 I am not able to get quite as much information as I would like with sony a7r iv and pixel shifting, but still enough for printing fairly large prints. And could probably get way more than enough with three stitched pixel shift shots.

Different matter for 4X5. Attached is a scan of a 4X5 negative I made way back when. Never made a print of it, other than a small carbon, because the Dmax of about log 4.0 was much too high for silver printing, and DR was too high to scan. With the a7r iv I get nearly all of the detail in the negative, with great shadow detail.

Sandy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails From_Bridge_1.jpg  
    Last edited by sanking; 10-Jan-2020 at 20:29.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Sandy I like the tones. What kind of film and developing? IS that presentation similar with that film and do you have a link to show others?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Sandy I like the tones. What kind of film and developing? IS that presentation similar with that film and do you have a link to show others?
    Hi Alan,

Thank you for your comments about the tones. The tones are really very rich, but not by my design. This negative was made in my first years of using LF in the early 1980s, and I overexposed the film by at least two full stops (based on shadow detail) and overdeveloped a lot, so that highlight densities are well over log 3.0. I exposed the film while doing a workshop in Highlands, NC and developed it at the workshop facilities, in HC-110 as I recall, and I have no information at all about the camera, lens, etc.

I was already working with carbon transfer at the time so was able to make a small carbon print during the workshop, then put the negative away until now. The film I can identify, it was Kodak TRI-X Pan Professional, 4164, and I wound up using it a lot in my work with 5X7 film, developing in D76 and DK-50 at first, later with PMK and Pyrocat.

That said, the basic principles do still apply for very rich tones for LF B&W, i.e. overexpose so that you get image texture all the way from deep shadows to highlights, then figure out fully develop the film and then how to compress the tones in your printing process, or in digital work flow. A mistake that a lot of LF film photographers make is underexposure that results in dead black shadows.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io

Some recent scans I made of Provia and Ektachrome with my S1R + 70mm ART macro. Note the edit I made to the picture of Moses (our Great Pyrenees). The blue version is what the chrome looks like on a light table, but the color corrected very easily with "auto color" in LR. And note how much I was able to bring back his eye. Close inspection shows basically no noise penalty.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_ANA5020-instagram.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	166.2 KB 
ID:	199449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_ANA5008-instagram.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	199450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_ANA4964-instagram.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	199451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_ANA4964-instagram-3.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	199452

Name:	_ANA5020-instagram-2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	199453Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_ANA4964-instagram-4.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	199454Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_ANA4980-instagram-2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	199455Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_ANA4980-instagram.jpg 
Size:	175.7 KB 
ID:	199456

Close up crops of the above. These were done with pixel shift on, and no stitching. They would print at roughly 400ppi as a 24x24, so great for 360dpi output to take full advantage of my P6000.

Again my shooting technique is the only weak spot here. They were shot with my Hy6 Mod 2 using the 50/2.8 Super Angulon, 80/2.8 Xenotar AFD, and 180/2.8 manual PQ lenses. I mostly shot in aperture priority and used AF a lot, close to wide open whenever possible.

Hi all,

For those who don't know, I'm currently scanning my 4x5 film negatives with a Sony a7R III (42mp, with pixel shift) and a Sigma 70mm f/2.8 DG Art Macro lens. Here are some unfinished results:

Name:	Los Angeles, Overpass.jpg 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	203993 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Los Angeles, Aqueduct.jpg 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	203994 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Superior Electrical Advertising.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	203995

While my current setup is pretty good, it takes a long time to take 3 or 4 separate pixel shifted photos of my 4x5 negatives (splitting the 4x5 negative into quarters or thirds) and stitch them together. Sometimes the stitching doesn't work and I have to redo it all over again. I'm also aiming to make large, detailed prints, roughly around 6 feet by 8 feet, give or take.

That said, I was thinking about eventually upgrading to a medium format camera/macro lens and purchasing either a Fujifilm GFX 50r (with a Fujifilm 120mm f/4 Macro) or the Pentax 645Z (with a Pentax 120mm f/4 Macro) to replace my Sony a7R III. Both of these cameras have a bigger sensor at 51.4mp. I'm also considering replacing my Sony a7R III with the newer Sony a7R IV (61mp, 240mp with pixel shift). The 240mp pixel shift feature this camera boasts is pretty impressive. With the Sony a7R IV, I can keep the Sigma 70mm f/2.8 Macro I already have.

With any of these 3 cameras, I wouldn't have to take as many photos of a 4x5 negative as I currently do to stitch together and would ostensibly have the ability to create even larger detailed prints.

Do you guys have any input or suggestions on this?

Quote Originally Posted by manfrominternet View Post

That said, I was thinking about eventually upgrading to a medium format camera/macro lens and purchasing either a Fujifilm GFX 50r (with a Fujifilm 120mm f/4 Macro) or the Pentax 645Z (with a Pentax 120mm f/4 Macro) to replace my Sony a7R III. Both of these cameras have a bigger sensor at 51.4mp.

Or upgrade to Epson V850. Your life will be way easier, with perfect results.

It has been perfectly demonstrated that for color LF film the Epson yields the same final results than drum scanners: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...=1#post1479178

DSLR scanning (with an expensive camera-lens-stand-etc) is a nice solution for small formats...

For LF the Epson is the most interesting choice today with next advantages:

> Around 140 MPix effective resolving power for a 4x5" shot

> Excellent (infrared based) iSRD dust removal feature. Otherwise it would be very time consuming to fix that in photoshop

> Top notch color conversion for CN film

> Excellent yield with multi-exposure for very dense Velvia, anyway a drum can recover slightly more in insanely underexposed detail

> Works with modern computers, service and warranty

> Extremly cheap solution for the yield it provides.

Quote Originally Posted by manfrominternet View Post
    Hi all,

For those who don't know, I'm currently scanning my 4x5 film negatives with a Sony a7R III (42mp, with pixel shift) and a Sigma 70mm f/2.8 DG Art Macro lens. Here are some unfinished results:

Name:	Los Angeles, Overpass.jpg 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	203993 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Los Angeles, Aqueduct.jpg 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	203994 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Superior Electrical Advertising.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	203995

While my current setup is pretty good, it takes a long time to take 3 or 4 separate pixel shifted photos of my 4x5 negatives (splitting the 4x5 negative into quarters or thirds) and stitch them together. Sometimes the stitching doesn't work and I have to redo it all over again. I'm also aiming to make large, detailed prints, roughly around 6 feet by 8 feet, give or take.

That said, I was thinking about eventually upgrading to a medium format camera/macro lens and purchasing either a Fujifilm GFX 50r (with a Fujifilm 120mm f/4 Macro) or the Pentax 645Z (with a Pentax 120mm f/4 Macro) to replace my Sony a7R III. Both of these cameras have a bigger sensor at 51.4mp. I'm also considering replacing my Sony a7R III with the newer Sony a7R IV (61mp, 240mp with pixel shift). The 240mp pixel shift feature this camera boasts is pretty impressive. With the Sony a7R IV, I can keep the Sigma 70mm f/2.8 Macro I already have.

With any of these 3 cameras, I wouldn't have to take as many photos of a 4x5 negative as I currently do to stitch together and would ostensibly have the ability to create even larger detailed prints.

Regarding your work with the Sony a7r iii, I would suggest that you just avoid the pixel shifting and shoot a straight mosaic of about six shots, overlapping about 25%. This should stitch very fast in PS and with 25% overlap stitching should work consistently. And with the six shots you will get effective mp count of about 30 mp per frame, or total of about 180 mp, which should get all the information from a 4X5 color negative film.

As to your question about switching to a medium format digital camera such as the Fuji GFX 50R (or Pentax 645), I actually did a test a few days ago with a sheet of 5X7 B&W film to compare work flow and image quality between the Sony a7r iv, with 16 shot pixel shifting with a 75 mm Apo Rodagon D, and a Fuji GFX 50R, using a Pentax 120 mm F/4 Macro. With the Sony I did three-pass stitching, with 16 shot pixel shifting. With the Fuji GFX 50R I did plain three-pass stitching. Tests with both cameras was done at f/8. I then adjusted brightness and contrast of the image files to compare results. I rather expected the a7r iv to give better results, but in fact image quality with the Fuji was quite similar. And of course, it was very simple and fast to combine the three shots with Photomerge, whereas the work flow with the Sony took a long time.

But my suspicion is that if you did a six-shot mosaic with the a7r iii you would get similar results. Course, if you are just ready to buy a new camera I can understand.

PS: Should mention that the Fuji GFX with either the Fuji 120 f/4 Macro or with the Pentax 120 f/4 Macro is a heavy combination and will require a VERY sturdy and stable copy stand.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 22-May-2020 at 18:37.