Quote Originally Posted by interneg View Post
What I've found is that the Frontier system approach does is knock off bits of gamut, highlights & shadows to both autocorrect & force-fit films into the gamut of certain papers - and I'm not entirely sure how much NLP does this, or follows an automated model based around sample & divide of the film mask colour. I do something similar by hand (which allows significant adjustment & intervention for optimisation) which while slightly slower, allows me to get very close to the colour of hand printed RA-4 darkroom prints - and much more so than when trying to match a scan off a Frontier. I've been playing around with making LUTs for Photoshop & they do have serious potential, but they're a time consuming fiddle to perfect if you're really fussy about getting the colour right across a wide range of negatives.
Yeah it's just based on Fuji Image Intelligence, and it actually has a Noritsu profile as well. There is a lot of flexibility, it doesn't clip like the Frontier will. I hear you though, custom LUTs are going to have a lot more control. I need to work fast however and NLP gets me from negative to great in just a few clicks. Apparently the next versions of NLP are going to integrate LUTs in some way, not sure what Nathan exactly has planned but he's mentioned it. He is very available in his Facebook group too which has been nice.

Generally I'm glad people are working on this, because Epson, Nikon, Durst etc are not. I would venture that even recent efforts by users and NLP plus a few others are making better conversions that Phase One's crazy expensive software package. Just a guess though since they want like $5k for the Cultural Heritage version of C1P alone.