Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I Drum Scan, X1 Flextight Scan, or use the Epson V850 w/Aztek Wet Mount Kit?

Re: Should I Drum Scan, X1 Flextight Scan, or use the Epson V850 w/Aztek Wet Mount Ki

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    The V600 yields 1560dpi effective (https://www.filmscanner.info/en/Epso...V600Photo.html), so the difference is huge.
    Well, that's what I get for being dramatic. I knew the v700 --> v800 hadn't been much of an improvement, and for some reason I thought the v600 was the same unit, but of course, it's the one with the ridiculously small transparency light. It was late at night, and I admit my mistake.

Re: Should I Drum Scan, X1 Flextight Scan, or use the Epson V850 w/Aztek Wet Mount Ki

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatchian View Post
    "And for those with Howtek 8000 scanners, as an IT guy, I have to ask... where are you finding SCSI-2 controllers still supported under Windows 10...?"

I run mine on Mac OS 9.2.2 off an Adaptec 2930 and have been since 1998. That same card is still available or Windows 10, so I'm assuming it should work as well. I think there was a 2940 card too, but the person who would know more authoritatively than anyone would be Evan Lippincott at Aztek. Shoot him an email or give him a call. A most gracious and friendly individual.
    I'm sure he is. But if I never ever have to see an Adaptec 2940 (An *extremely* common card), or another of the myriad SCSI cable standards I had to deal with for 15+ years, I will sleep much better at night. It's not that SCSI is a terrible system (it works very well), it's that it's not idiot-proof. And I repeatedly ran into systems set up by less than diligent people. SAS was a welcome change.

The bottom line is that, if you want to use a drum scanner today, you're going to have to deal with some older and outdated hardware. The scanners themselves are quite slow so the modest SCSI transfer speeds are never an issue and since these days, if you're connecting a scanner, that's likely to be the only device on the chain so you won't have any of the "normal" SCSI problems we used to have twenty years ago.

Yeah, it would be nice if my Cezanne worked on a modern machine but at the end of the day it works just fine attached to the dedicated Mac G4 in the corner of my office. It needs a heavy-duty table anyway (my old kitchen table from college days works perfect). I have backup parts for the Mac and actually a whole second Cezanne for replacement that I had to drive a thousand miles to pickup lol. The SCSI is a lot more temperamental on that machine I think, with only two compatible card types that are hard to find.

Some might think it's weird to have a separate computer but I also have my server running and a laptop for other stuff and also an old computer in my living room that will eventually be a media computer. Not to mention my wife's computer. So we have 5+ computers running concurrently.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Hello Pali, yeah, your side by side is quite a reference !!!!

First, let me point that you don't use Multi-Exposure in your V700, you have to separately purchase an upgrade ($50, IIRC) to have the SF version doing it, this will improve a lot your yield with slides in the shadows.

Second, let me suggest something: compare the Epson scan with the real slide on the light table, you will find that the Epson is accurate, it is an IT8 calibrated machine and it nails exactly the reference colors in the patches.

Many high end Pro scanners have color enhancing features that are difficult to disable, if wanting popping colors from the V700 then one may use any image enhancing software, if not wantig to edit.

Those colors from your drum are artificially modified, see the real slide and they are not there.

I agree... for 35mm the Epson is slightly worse than other solutions like a dedicated roll film scanner, but the larger the format the more the Epson shines, you saw what happened with MF CN...
    Wait so let me get this right, the one source you have so devoutly preached this whole time has finally come back and informed you are incorrect - you then proceed to argue with him?

Bonkers!
    The Container Lab
    www.thecontainerlab.com/blog

Quote Originally Posted by calebarchie View Post
    Wait so let me get this right, the one source you have so devoutly preached this whole time has finally come back and informed you are incorrect - you then proceed to argue with him?

Bonkers!
    Oh, dear. Someone else is catching on....
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Oh, dear. Someone else is catching on....
    I wonder if he even owns the mystical Epson he is so obsessed with.

Are there any current high-end mirrorless/digital medium format (Fuji GFX, Pentax 645z) camera and macro lens offerings that can rival drum scanning (without having to take, say, 10+ frames to stitch together)?

Stitching several images using Photo Merge-Panorama in Lightroom sometimes just doesn't align properly, even if everything is perfectly flat. I've had to re-photograph (re-scan) 4x5 negatives all over again several times with my Sony a7R III more times than I can count. :/

I wonder if PhotoMerge in Photoshop proper is more effective than Lr. I have done hundreds of merges in Ps and rarely had any problem with misalignment, plus there are other options out there outside of Adobe for doing the merging, and even though I've got those, PhotoMerge has gotten so good that that's all I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatchian View Post
    I have done hundreds of merges in Ps and rarely had any problem with misalignment
    Same here - I think if the field of the optic being used for the digitisation is flat enough & there's sufficient overlap, then PS handles it just fine