Thread: Two Schneider-Kreuznach MAKRO SYMMAR HM 120mm lenses with different back elements.

Two Schneider-Kreuznach MAKRO SYMMAR HM 120mm lenses with different back elements.

I recently acquired these two similar macro lenses and the only difference is that the have different back elements. The larger of the two back elements seems to be what originally comes with this lens configuration. What would be the pros/cons of using the shorter element?
    Schneider-Kreuznach MAKRO SYMMAR HM 120mm f/5.6 Copal No.0 Shutter
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0502.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	196980

Re: Two Schneider-Kreuznach MAKRO SYMMAR HM 120mm lenses with different back elements

Check the focal lengths. The lower lens is much larger than the upper one. Don't screw around with mixing and matching cells, those lenses are best used as they were delivered.

Re: Two Schneider-Kreuznach MAKRO SYMMAR HM 120mm lenses with different back elements

Let us know how it works.

They are both the exact same lens other than the back cells.
    This is how I received them. Why would someone replace the back cell?

Name:	IMG_0506.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	196986

Name:	IMG_0505.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	196985

Things look a bit mixed up here, the short rear element looks like its from a super symmar xl 80mm. The two shutters also have different aperture scales, one with a max of 5.6 and the other with 4.5. The shutter with the 5.6 max. aperture and the long rear element should be the correct combination for the Makro Symmar HM.

I'd contact the seller of the one with the short rear element and either try to return it or sort out the mixup with the mismatched elements, given the f/4.5 aperture scale probably the shutter and rear element are from a super symmar XL 80mm f/4.5 and the front element has been swapped.

Thanks Michael. It was from a closing down art school and a student probable did the mixup. The two lenses came mounted on Toyo-View boards for a 45CX.
    There's no way to return or exchange so I will have to part out the mismatch; hopefully there is a market for the individual cells.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_qrt View Post
    Things look a bit mixed up here, the short rear element looks like its from a super symmar xl 80mm. The two shutters also have different aperture scales, one with a max of 5.6 and the other with 4.5. The shutter with the 5.6 max. aperture and the long rear element should be the correct combination for the Makro Symmar HM.

I'd contact the seller of the one with the short rear element and either try to return it or sort out the mixup with the mismatched elements, given the f/4.5 aperture scale probably the shutter and rear element are from a super symmar XL 80mm f/4.5 and the front element has been swapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Junglerush View Post
    Thanks Michael. It was from a closing down art school and a student probable did the mixup. The two lenses came mounted on Toyo-View boards for a 45CX.
    There's no way to return or exchange so I will have to part out the mismatch; hopefully there is a market for the individual cells.
    Fair enough, that's a shame. If you know anyone from the art school who might know where the other lenses from the school went it might be worth trying to follow up if at all possible. Those are some high end lenses so it's a pity if they end up going to waste.