Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HC110 B with HP5+ @ 100

Re: HC110 B with HP5+ @ 100

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    I'm always curious why people want to take a 400 speed film and over expose it 2-stops rather than just use a 100-125 speed film.

For example Overexposure + compressive development extends film dynamic range, shooting a lower ISO film it doesn't.

Beyond that, a true master may do that for other resons, tonal curve, volume depiction, shouldering highlights... and in MF governing grain structure...

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    William Mortensen.
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-...ist-180953525/
    https://web.archive.org/web/20170205...ist-180953525/

Of course a practical approach like that is sound, you set a development for suitable DMax and later you bracket to find best practical result.

We may have to calibrate a lot to find the same, and this is before knowing if the result is the one we like the more.

Me, I try to combine both ways, plots help me to understand what I'm doing. I'm following your recommendations to learn to make studio portraits that are easy to print optically.

I find LF portraiture is technically way more difficult than landscape, many landscapes are great even if they look unnatural, but a great portrait requires many things to be well done.

Quote Originally Posted by RodinalDuchamp View Post
    I find it extremely hard to believe that no one on this forum has tried this combo and doesn't have information to relay back / share with everyone if they choose to. I thought this was a forum of freely interchanged ideas but it seems like its more esoteric or mystical than I remember a few years back.
    No, we don’t have your camera, meters etc not to mention whether as to how you’re developing, agitating etc.

Any values we give you won’t apply to your situation. Besides I don’t expose HP5 at 100 but at 180 which is what works for me determined through testing.

I find the notion that one must reduce development time for film rated slower than box speed erroneous. Developing time affects the contrast gradient of the film equally, regardless of the E.I. Yes, it is often good to underrate your film in order to get the desired shadow detail and, yes, it is often good to reduce development time from the manufacturer's recommendation to deal with the contrast in the scene you have. However, these are unrelated issues.

We "Zonies" have a lot of different development times so we can tailor each sheet's contrast gradient to match the range of luminances in the scenes we photograph. When shooting roll film, I abandon this and aim for a mean contrast gradient that allows me to accommodate scenes with luminance ranges at either extreme. This is often a shorter time than my Zone-System "Normal" would be. And, I often like to overexpose by a stop or even more to get important shadows up into the straight-line portion of the film's curve. The reduction in development and the overexposure are unrelated, however. Often I'll overexpose and then increase development because the scene needs to have expanded contrast. Really, it depends on what you point your camera at.

As for HC-110: I have found that you can deal with too-short times for dil. B by simply doubling the dilution (1+63 instead of 1+31) and double the development time (e.g., 3.5 minutes would become 7 minutes). This might not be perfect, but will be a good starting point that you can tweak later.

Arriving at an initial development time for any film/developer combination requires you to do your personal testing. All you can get from others that use the same combination is a more-accurate starting point for your own testing.

Best,

Doremus

I'm always curious why people want to take a 400 speed film and over expose it 2-stops rather than just use a 100-125 speed film. Maybe instead change your metering technique and/or developer and use the film at box speed which gives you better overall control and decision making. HC110 actually worked more consistently for me at higher dilution because fill and dump time were less critical to the overall development time.
    When Plus X 125 was available, and I had plenty of it doing defense work, I did the test described above and came up with a speed 32. This produced some very fine negatives, but the speed was too slow for use in the field or with the strobes I had available at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Chaves View Post
    When Plus X 125 was available, and I had plenty of it doing defense work, I did the test described above and came up with a speed 32. This produced some very fine negatives, but the speed was too slow for use in the field or with the strobes I had available at that time.
    Exactly. Why would anyone want to use the maximum latitude of the film exposing for an expanded low value range while developing for high value control - right? Why would that be useful of all things.

You pointed something very simple I overlooked which is why I posted here. Of course - double the time and increase dilution. Thank you. After all I am looking for a very basic base line tonstart with. My times with pyro often exceed 25 minutes which is why I'd like to try hc110 and see if the contrast can come close to pyro. My next 2 options are xtol and presycol (sp)

Drew Wiley

Both a 100 rating for HP5 in HC110 B and 25 min in pyro sound ludicrous to me. Are you trying to make a transparent negative or a cast iron frying pan? I don't get it. Is this for silver printing or some UV alt process?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Both a 100 rating for HP5 in HC110 B and 25 min in pyro sound ludicrous to me. Are you trying to make a transparent negative or a cast iron frying pan? I don't get it. Is this for silver printing or some UV alt process?
    Well I can't really blame you. However, there is a method to my madness. I use an extremely dilute pyro process which provides a noticeably open dynamic range. I have been shooting HP5 and Tri-x at 100 for over 7 years now but always in D76 or pyrocat. I thought I could come back on the forum and see what others have experienced with HC110 at 100 but honestly I had forgotten how even the simplest question gets blown out of proportion on this forum. I am happy to share my pyro process with you if you are interested for you to test for yourself.

Tray processed in a slosher
    1:1:200
    72*F
    28 minutes
    3 minutes vigorous agitation
    let stand for 5 minutes
    1 minutes vigorous agitation
    let stand for 5 minutes
    1 minute vigorous agitation
    let stand for 5 minutes
    1 minute vigorous agitation
    let stand for remainder

Produces exceptionally fine negatives that print very well and easily. Of course I have tailored this process for the work that I do and I developed this system alongside my mentor for controlling extreme contrast situations - the side effect however, was that it worked very well in almost all instances I have tested it in. I can upload some samples later when I get back home.

The concept is not new and well outlined in Saint Ansel's the negative. It's a tried and proven overexpose/underdevelop. Some guys just want to make things more complicated than they have to be. In my opinion to which no one else is beholden to shooting box speed provides less than optimal results.

I'm always curious why people want to take a 400 speed film and over expose it 2-stops rather than just use a 100-125 speed film. Maybe instead change your metering technique and/or developer and use the film at box speed which gives you better overall control and decision making. HC110 actually worked more consistently for me at higher dilution because fill and dump time were less critical to the overall development time.
    I routinely expose HP5 at EI 200 or less, depending on subject brightness. It's something that most people do. When I use a 100-125 speed film, I'll expose it at 50-64, respectively, and depending on the film (Acros I use EI 64).