Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: You (Yes, You) Should Donate to the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS)

Re: You (Yes, You) Should Donate to the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS)

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    it won’t be pretty. I feel badly for all these states whose crmp archives is all digital with no hard copy redundancy. Not my problem.
    Sal and John, I think you are making the same point. The delay with HABS using born-digital – WAS – the LoC wanted to be confident that they could safely and redundantly archive the stuff. They now say the can consume/archive/protect the digital data, we have to believe them.

Now the delay to born-digital HABS is specific photo guidelines, metadata guidelines, and data transmittal systems (cannot introduce viruses into the Govt. system) then there are a thousand little things to get agreement on in general. So, solvable implementation problems – but time consuming none the less.

We may be reluctant to believe the LoC will achieve LE500+ Life Expectancy but its up to our children to sort it out because the government is all digital now and the NARA archives had to switch over in the Clinton years. No going back. Hard to believe film HABS persisted this long.

On the bright side born-digital records will all have color, and that's pretty great.

-Schaf
    `
    –Stephen Schafer HABS | HAER | HALS & Architectural Photography | Ventura, California | www.HABSPHOTO.com

multiplex

Re: You (Yes, You) Should Donate to the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS)

Quote Originally Posted by schafphoto View Post
    Sal and John, I think you are making the same point. The delay with HABS using born-digital – WAS – the LoC wanted to be confident that they could safely and redundantly archive the stuff. They now say the can consume/archive/protect the digital data, we have to believe them.

Now the delay to born-digital HABS is specific photo guidelines, metadata guidelines, and data transmittal systems (cannot introduce viruses into the Govt. system) then there are a thousand little things to get agreement on in general. So, solvable implementation problems – but time consuming none the less.

We may be reluctant to believe the LoC will achieve LE500+ Life Expectancy but its up to our children to sort it out because the government is all digital now and the NARA archives had to switch over in the Clinton years. No going back. Hard to believe film HABS persisted this long.

On the bright side born-digital records will all have color, and that's pretty great.

-Schaf
    sorry Schaf,
    im a skeptic seeing things first hand get wrecked. but like all photographers for hire, I'm their tool to do what they want me to do and it's not my problem. but as a crmp professional and archivist it's a known problem and I'm not too happy and comfortable with it...

it won’t be pretty. I feel badly for all these states whose crmp archives is all digital with no hard copy redundancy. Not my problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by schafphoto View Post
    ...We may be reluctant to believe the LoC will achieve LE500+ Life Expectancy but its up to our children to sort it out because the government is all digital now...
    ...im a skeptic seeing things first hand get wrecked...as a crmp professional and archivist it's a known problem and I'm not too happy and comfortable with it...
    I've no idea what individual states have done / are doing to protect their digital archives. My comments address the Library of Congress. I'm very comfortable that it will take appropriate measures to ensure its digital archives are resilient against both technical change and extreme space weather. With respect to the latter, my career as an electrical engineer included time spent working on national defense programs. I toiled, for a period, inside a TEMPEST facility:

Based on that experience, I'm very happy and comfortable that off-line, redundant storage of Library of Congress digital archives in similar facilities would effectively protect them from the natural hazards you're concerned about.

you can find my work stored i n the garage. anytime they want it after im dead, it will be in a land fill. but otoh if they are compensating for it... well ill go dig it out right now.

i guess they arent putting too much faith in digital anymore? hahahaha all those paper documents n files and tapes when everything was being converted to digital was just a waste of time n money. so now you need my crappy photos?

Additional information can be found on my
    Frequently HABS/HAER/HALS asked Questions Blog:

https://schafphoto.typepad.com/habs_haer_hals-faq/

Cornell University Libe Slope and Uris Library HABS NY-6402-2 by Stephen Schafer https://flic.kr/p/2hR6yGP
    `
    –Stephen Schafer HABS | HAER | HALS & Architectural Photography | Ventura, California | www.HABSPHOTO.com

If there is a Canadian equivalent up here, I may...

If we ever get a second chance on this planet

I think we need to do better

way better
    Tin Can