Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: identifying an Omega enlarger

identifying an Omega enlarger

I got hold of an Omega enlarger. It was advertised as a "D2 with color head". As Omega isn't that much around here I took it for granted that is what is was.

Now I looked a bit on the net and found that a D2 uses "lens cones". But this one uses a bellow and has a tree-lens turret. So I assumed it was a Prolab D6 which had these standard. Now I started cleaning it and on the back of the column there is a label "D5 XL". But from what I understood, a normal D has a 40" column while the XL has a 60" column. And this is certainly not a 60" column, it is about 1.3 meters total with a 100cm (40") ruler.

What can this thing be?
    Expert in non-working solutions.

Re: identifying an Omega enlarger

I also found this: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 9.10.39 AM.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	197002

Have you asked Omega Brandess in MD?

Have been looking there, most of what I wrote is from what I found there. Looks mostly like a D5 with the covered rails but with a tree-lens turret.

Sadly no view of the lifting mechanism but it certainly isn't that of the Prolab II. Don't know what they mean with the "masking and micro focus attachments" that were supposed to be part of the Prolab. So could be a D5 dichroic with optional turret.

EDIT: last 2 replies came while I was typing. If the girder of the D5XL is 54", then it is a D5XL. Can't say anything about the baseboard, there wasn't any as this one was wall mounted on a bracket.

I haven't asked. Maybe I should and send the serial number along. But now it is in parts so hard to take a good photo.

Thanks for the pointers.

The 4x5 "D" dichoric head would fit on many chassis including D3, Prolab, D5, D6 and D5500. Some parts are interchangeable between the various chassis also, so you could have a hybrid. Omega enlargers are popular in USA, so a picture would help. Probably someone here has the same setup.

This is the enlarger before I took it apart to transport it. Mounted on a wall bracket.

The bellow and turret and after I got the focus adjustment free:

Typeplate at the back:

Looks nice, not much that can go wrong with these that can't be fixed except for the power supply. Which power supply did you get?
    In terms of identification, if it does not have the masking and microfocus, then it a D5. I think you can add those in the future, I think both would be desirable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l225.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	197113

Would that masking be at the underside of the head? And the microfocus, how does it look like?

Power supply is a "Super Chromega Dicroic II" without the timer. It came also with a 220/110 transforemer and mistery box called "adaptatore". This is a small metal box with at one side 2 leads with US connectors and the other side a european connector. From what I can see, this is to connect the timer which has euro style connectors to the Chromega which has US connectors.

I have an urge to replace all the cables and wire the head for full 24V operation, replacing the pilot light and fan.

The community lab I volunteer at has a room full of these, minus the dichroic head. None have the microfocus from what I can recall. btw, are you missing the head elevation lever ?
    notch codes ? I only use one film...