Thread: Bellows Lens Hoods for Graphic View I

Bellows Lens Hoods for Graphic View I

Hi All!

I am looking for lens hood options for the Graphic View I camera and I am unsure where to start. The original Bellows Lens Hoods for the graphic view fetch quite a penny on eBay and I'm wondering if there are any cost-effective alternatives you might recommend? I am shooting with a 150mm f9 Goerz Dagor, a 4'' (101mm) f.9.5 Goerz Apochromat red dot Artar, and a Nikkor 90mm f8 with a recessed board. Any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Re: Bellows Lens Hoods for Graphic View I

I expect that you'll have to do some rigging if you can't find an original. I think Calumet made a compendium for their CC-400 series cameras, and later Cambo made one for their monorails. But none of them are likely to be cheap. But compendiums are not absolutely vital... unless you plan to shoot in high flare conditions.
    Admirable? Yes. Effective? yes. Necessary? probably not. But best of luck!

When a proprietary piece of equipment is unavailable or ridiculously expensive, I try to find a way to make my own.
    I have made slip-on lens shades out of black mat board and black tape.
    BTW, I doubt your 4" RD Artar will cover 4x5.

There's a compendium bellows for the Graphic on eBay right now, for $49.95 + $15.95 shipping. Not a bad price.

Keep in mind the time, effort, and materials required to make one. Don't have a dog in this show.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Graflex-Com...YAAOSwdKddp1wI
    Best,
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    When a proprietary piece of equipment is unavailable or ridiculously expensive, I try to find a way to make my own.
    I have made slip-on lens shades out of black mat board and black tape.
    BTW, I doubt your 4" RD Artar will cover 4x5.
    Thank you for your response! I think I will opt for making my own lens shade and see how it works out. As for the RD Artar, I don't know a whole lot about the lens so I wonder what it is used for if not for LF cameras? I would truly appreciate any information on the lens. I purchased it from a local camera store and it was mounted on a Rapax shutter and lensboard (does not fit my GV so I am looking to replace it) so I would be disappointed if it didn't work for 4x5.

Thank you all for your replies!

I will likely opt for putting something together quickly and seeing how well it works, at least until I can afford to buy the Original Compendium bellows (thank you pendennis!). Hopefully it will still be available when this is the case!

Quote Originally Posted by __Toro__ View Post
    Thank you for your response! I think I will opt for making my own lens shade and see how it works out. As for the RD Artar, I don't know a whole lot about the lens so I wonder what it is used for if not for LF cameras? I would truly appreciate any information on the lens. I purchased it from a local camera store and it was mounted on a Rapax shutter and lensboard (does not fit my GV so I am looking to replace it) so I would be disappointed if it didn't work for 4x5.
    Cameraeccentric.com is a wealth of information.
    The Goerz catalog contained therein shows the 4" RD Artar as covering 2x3 @ 1:10, and increasing coverage to 4x5 @ 1:1 only.