Thread: Odd lensboard sizes

Odd lensboard sizes

I am clearing out some of my collection of lenboards that came with a lens that now sits in a Linhof Technika lensboard. They are:

1) 3 and 5/8 inches square (metal) - have 3 of these, I think they are referred to as Graphic boards
    2) 4 inches square (metal) - have 4 of these, one of which has a Xenophon Pro Gel Holder attached (A Calumet exclusive)
    3) 5 1/2 inches square (metal)
    4) 6 inch square (wood)

What camera system are they for?

Re: Odd lensboard sizes

Quote Originally Posted by linhofbiker View Post
    I am clearing out some of my collection of lenboards that came with a lens that now sits in a Linhof Technika lensboard. They are:

1) 3 and 5/8 inches square (metal) - have 3 of these, I think they are referred to as Graphic boards
    2) 4 inches square (metal) - have 4 of these, one of which has a Xenophon Pro Gel Holder attached (A Calumet exclusive)
    3) 5 1/2 inches square (metal)
    4) 6 inch square (wood)

What camera system are they for?
    The SK Grimes webpages on lensboards are a good reference - go to https://skgrimes.com/products/lens-boards, click on "Lens Boards" on the left, and then browse through the types.

It matters a little what the shape is, for ex Graphic boards are stamped aluminum with a rim, while many others are cast with a ridge interior to the edge (a rebate). My guess is that
    (1) 3.6" = Speed/Crown Graphic
    (2) 4" = Graphic View and maybe the older Calumet monorail
    (3) maybe Sinar depending on the rebate shape
    (4) dunno, maybe Deardorff, must leave that to experts.

Six inch square (wood) is the classic 6"x 6" Kodak lensboard for the Model 2 (or 2D) series. I have a 5x7, a Full plate and and 8x10 in Kodak No. 2 & they all take 6x6 boards. I've only tried wood, don't know if anything metal would be meaty enough. Some of the smaller Kodak View cams (Model 33A for example) were physically smaller machines & used smaller boards. If the corners are rounded off could also be for a Deardorff, but the Kodaks were all square-cornered.--alfredian

The 4" boards were used on the majority of 4x5 press and view cameras from the 1940s and 1950s with a few exceptions like the Meridian, Busch, and Graphic Pacemaker and Super Graphic series. The 4x5 Graphic Pacemaker board measures 3.65x3.71", not 3 5/8".