Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Paper Trimmer

Good Paper Trimmer

What's a good brand and model paper trimmer with which people have experience? Mine's old and sometimes leaves indentations on the print. It needs to go.

It doesn't have to cut matt board, only double-weight photographic papers and pt/pd printed type papers. It has to be square, of course. Nothing slipshod.

I know that the high-end Rotatrim is good, but I balk at paying what they ask. I think they're overdesigned to take abuse. Mine won't be abused. Rotatrim also make a single-rail trimmer. Has anyone tried that one? I see Dahle's paper trimmers that are available. And Omega. These are well-known brands, but do they do the kind of quality that one needs for photographic purposes?

Good Paper Trimmer

Pay for the Rotatrim. Mine is a 30+ year old 2 rail Besslar Rotatrim that cost $200 then.

Last week I got some 4x5 film that was very slightly oversize and hard to load. I taped a stop down to size the film, and cut a thin cardoard cover. I ended up with a film shavings that looked like a pile of hair. Try that with some cheapie.

Good Paper Trimmer

I just used an X-acto knife and a T-square until I felt I could afford a Rotatrim Mastercut II. The Rotatrim is completely worth it. I was convinced finally when I tried one at a workshop, and it was clear that the Rotatrims there had had a LOT of use, but were still sharp and square despite their battered appearance.

Good Paper Trimmer

I hear that Kuttrimmer makes the best guillotine trimmer. Expensive, but apparently worth it. I hear the guillotine trimmers treat the photograph a bit better than rotary trimmers by rounding the edges off a bit. I've not tried it myself to see if that's the case, but it seems plausible.

Good Paper Trimmer

Here's a third vote for a Rotatrim. After I got mine I found that it was also the best tool in the world for cutting hardwood veneer. In the winter when snowbound I make extra fancy lens boards with exotic hardwood veneers. A Rotatrim will shave microscopic threads off of walnut burl. Photographic paper and film? Ha. Buy the best, once.

Good Paper Trimmer

My 30 yo Rotatrim is still going strong. I join the others in unreserved recommendation of a product which was designed right long ago and keeps on performing.
    Alec

Good Paper Trimmer

The Dahle will do the job, it has a clamp to hold the paper down as you move the bar. I like the Rotatrim better, though, for its heavier base and great precision. (We have both where I work.)

Good Paper Trimmer

One more for the Rotatrim .. mine is also 30+ years old.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Good Paper Trimmer

I use a German made Susis rotary trimmer. Bought it - oh, at least 10 years ago now. Good as the day I bought it new. Not cheap, but it has held up and worth the money I spent on it.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Good Paper Trimmer

Rotatrim. My wife and I fought over ours so much that I bought a second one. Hers is in her work space, mine is in mine. Worth it for domestic tranquility.

It's a marvelous device.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com