Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Which labs still make traditional optical enlargements from 4x5 color negatives?

Re: Which labs still make traditional optical enlargements from 4x5 color negatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Huh? The Darkroom still does C41 and E6 in the LA area, clear up to 8x10 film size, that is, in San Clemente nearby, and offers printing too. There are labs still going here in Norcal too.
    San Clemente is an hour and 30 minutes from LA. Hardly nearby. As I said, The Icon is the only lab left in LA that does 4x5 C41 and E6.

Drew Wiley

Re: Which labs still make traditional optical enlargements from 4x5 color negatives?

Yes, E6 and C41 are film processes. RA4 is a print process, and can be achieved either via optical enlargement or scanning and laser printers. One generally has to do a little more in depth communication with any given service these days to figure out who still does specifically what.
    I just linked one of the local ones (SF Bay Area) that no longer has space for enlargers due to yet another forced relocation, but has added back 8x10 film processing in both C41 and 8x10, which they temporarily couldn't do in their interim space. The usual commercial real estate nightmare around here.

Can anyone even drive across LA in an hour and a half? The whole mess south of the Tehachapi range is LA as far as I'm concerned. It can take an hour and half just to get across the Bay here the wrong time of day, or pre-Covid, an hour to get 10 miles to just the Bridge. But it's still considered local.

Drew Wiley

Magnolia is an Alt process lab which did a lot of special experimentation, especially involving scanning and laser etching, which has nothing in common with this particular thread. In recent years, they've added inkjet capacity as a lower-end option. Any dealings I had with them were quite awhile back, and quite specific, and I've never met any the younger staff who might or might not have responded to the alleged inquiry,
    who might not even have been born yet, or certainly not employed yet, when that big jigsaw image of Chuck Close was made.

So, let me ask, what kind of malicious trolling are you up to this time, hornstenj? If push came to shove, I could hypothetically dig up the copy of the receipt to the ORIGINAL OWNERS of the specific wooden image equipment I sold them, if the former computer base is still in existence. I had a dedicated server, which might or might not have had its data base transcribed after I retired. If not, the German manufacturer themselves might still retain the warranty copy; I don't know how many years they retain them. But I have zero interest in feeding trolls.
    Welcome to my Ignore list.