Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Thoughts About Linhof 4x5 Technikardan 45s ?

Re: Thoughts About Linhof 4x5 Technikardan 45s ?

No camera is perfect. Few of us will ever find a view camera that couldn't be improved somehow; I never have and don't expect to.
    Were I to use a TK for a while, I'm sure I could find things about it that didn't work for me, or things that could be improved.
    I'm also sure that I could enjoy making good photographs with it, just like I have with the many different view cameras I've used and owned over the decades.

But a telling point about the Technikardan is that it has remained in production for over thirty years, while many other designs have come and gone.
    That speaks well of both the design (unique as it is) and the build quality.

Not unlike a Porsche 911; German, top quality, expensive, high performance, long track record, unusual design, not for everybody.

Hello Bob,

Thanks for sharing this. Could this be why the first version of TK at the Linhof dealer appeared not so rigid, not so precise which Linhof addressed as the design evolved-progressed?

How does one distinguish the early TK from later version of TK? Liked the overall concept an ergonomics, but the initial lack of rigidity at full extension was a serious concern. This was a LOT of years ago.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    The original TK utilized a 1 piece L arm bent into an L shape. This had several problems. If the bends were not exact the piece had to be thrown out. The rear and front L standards were the same width and that meant that the rear one was too springy with long extension and heavy lenses.
    2 years later they brought out the improved TKs series. The L arms were changed to two straight pieces joined by a coupler piece and the rear standard was now double the width of the front L. 0 detects were added to the tilts and it became a more robust and precise camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Hello Bob,

Thanks for sharing this. Could this be why the first version of TK at the Linhof dealer appeared not so rigid, not so precise which Linhof addressed as the design evolved-progressed?

How does one distinguish the early TK from later version of TK? Liked the overall concept an ergonomics, but the initial lack of rigidity at full extension was a serious concern. This was a LOT of years ago.

Bernice
    On the original TK the front and rear L standards are the same width and are made from one picece of metal. On the TKs they are not the same width and are made up of 2 straight pieces and a joiner block that mates them.
    The S has tilt detents the older version does not.

All these positive comments and experiences with the Technikarden 45S are causing me to regret not actually using mine more often over the last 3-4 years for my landscape photography. I purchased the 45S mostly for photographing building or home interiors (often requiring wide-to-very wide angle lenses), and so I could begin to explore table-top still lifes. However, I have procrastinated on getting some lighting and backdrops to create a table-top set up in my basement. I usually take the 45S on my road trips to national parks and other landscapes, but normally reach for my back pack with a Master Technika IV Classic when I leave the car and hit the trail. I agree with most of the comments and experiences about ease of set-up, use and take down with the 45S, and I carry mine in a specially modified Underwater Kinetics TUNDRA Seaking 821 ballistic case that I purchased in mid-2017 from Kerry Thalmann through a FS on this Forum (though it and its accessories could as easily be carried in a back pack). In the TUNDRA case I carry both the normal and a bag bellows, each wrapped in a large or XL padded lens wrap, and separated from the folded camera (which is protected by foam padding elements).

Resolved for 2020, that I will get more use out of the 45S!
    ... JMOwens (Mt. Pleasant, Wisc. USA)

"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." ...Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by JMO View Post
    All these positive comments and experiences with the Technikarden 45S are causing me to regret not actually using mine more often over the last 3-4 years for my landscape photography. I purchased the 45S mostly for photographing building or home interiors (often requiring wide-to-very wide angle lenses), and so I could begin to explore table-top still lifes. However, I have procrastinated on getting some lighting and backdrops to create a table-top set up in my basement. I usually take the 45S on my road trips to national parks and other landscapes, but normally reach for my back pack with a Master Technika IV Classic when I leave the car and hit the trail. I agree with most of the comments and experiences about ease of set-up, use and take down with the 45S, and I carry mine in a specially modified Underwater Kinetics TUNDRA Seaking 821 ballistic case that I purchased in mid-2017 from Kerry Thalmann through a FS on this Forum (though it and its accessories could as easily be carried in a back pack). In the TUNDRA case I carry both the normal and a bag bellows, each wrapped in a large or XL padded lens wrap, and separated from the folded camera (which is protected by foam padding elements).

Resolved for 2020, that I will get more use out of the 45S!
    Sure hope you use it and enjoy it more often!

However, there was a Technika IV, no rangefinder, a Super Technika IV, with rangefinder, both were superseded by the Super Technika V which was replaced by the Master Technika. The current model is the Master Technika Classic to separate it from the Master Technika 3000 which has no rangefinder but instead adds a built-in extreme wide angle focusing system within the body. The earlier Master a Technika 2000 also had the built-in WA focusing system instead of the rangefinder.

If your Technika does a front rise with a knob behind the front standard you have the IV. The V and all Masters do it with a lever mechanism. If your camera has a lift up flap on the top housing you have a MT.